Repeaters

WRUY804

Question

8 answers to this question

You might want a radio approved for GMRS as you would likely find it easier to program and less easy to go sideways. That's your call. That said their is a +5 offset for repeaters on the TX. If you are in fact talking simplex this may be why. For instance channel 15 is 462.5500. So for a repeater on the same channel/frequency, the TX to a repeater will be 467.5500 and RX will be at 462.5500.  A GMRS radio will likely already have the offset programmed in. 

Yes,supposly 20 watts or more.I have the frequency and tones in.I am not sure if i am to far away from a repeater or this radio doesn't work.I am able to hear conversations very well but no one hears me when try to contact open repeaters.Not sure if i need sound kind of tone to know i am connected.I am new at this but this radio seems very difficult to use if it works properly,may have to buy a different brand.This is why i wanted someone who has one.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Drinks are on me........

Thanks,

ristoveri@hotmail.com

Chris WRUY804

Listening is not at all a difficult task for handhelds. Those radios are always better in hearing (receiving) than being heard (transmitting) and those "nominal" 20 Watts might not make a big difference.

I am not familiar with the radio but here are some troubleshooting items:

Is the repeater listing correct? - Sometimes, you may find outdated information. Maybe the tone changed based on some necessity and the webpage / listing was not updated.

Is the programming correct ?!? - In general terms: Good case: you are using software - bad case, you are using the keypad. - Using a receiver means that transmitting and receiving takes place on different frequencies (offset) and both might have tones (sometimes different tones. As you are able to hear, your receiving frequency and tone (if in doubt turn off) are right!

The antenna --- what a chapter: Those stock antennas are great for marketing photos but not so much for actual communication. Example: My place of work is about 13 to 15 miles away from a repeater I am using. Any of my handhelds can make that but only with a longer antenna. If I try to get into the machine with the stock antennas, I might be able to open the repeater, but my voice turns to noise.

Finally, the location: I can easily listen to the repeater in my living room, but I can only hit the machine from the outside (front yard - not back-yard). 

I hope that those items help you get started with some experimentation. - And that is the fun in radio!

Again, simply because you can hear a fine-tuned, high output, elevated, and expensive machine transmitting does not mean that the repeater can hear your HT (handset). Both machines play in different leagues (by design and for a good reason!!!).

keep poking :)

Late to the party but leaving a warning for all who want to get a Heixen or HYS 20/25 watt handheld. These radios have extremely bad spurious emissions, even when powered off! Experience was kinda horrifying.