Repeaters

Buffalo1

I’m new to this gmrs hobby.  I have the uv-5r by baofeng. I have four units that I want to communicate with my daughter and grandson. I use these radios as walk-in talkies when we travel and when wE go hiking and camping.  Now I learn that you can use repeaters and communicate over lots of miles.  My grandson lives in Texas and I in New Mexico. Is it possible to link up with him via repeaters.  And I’m not a ham operator. Just gmrs.    Thank you and my apologies if my question is ignorant. I’m ignorant when it comes to this stuff but I’m interested in it now.   Thank you in advance.  If texting is easier. Richard at 817-578-5607 cell #.  

Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the forum !!!

In general terms, a single repeater will be able to help you with communication within your area. Those machines are often located at higher elevation so that they can help out when structure or mountains hinder simplex (direct) communication.

I am not familiar with your area, but I am certain that someone will jump in "any minute".

Yes, some repeaters are linked to each other and in some cases repeaters allow for links through alternative gateways such as Zello (in that case, you might connect to a repeater in a different state via a phone app and your counterpart is using a radio to reach the repeater).

As you are waiting for someone with local knowledge (closer to your home), keep reading the forum - you might find your solution :)

Again: Welcome !!!

Welcome.

Unfortunately, the distance is pretty far. Depending on how far you are it would be cheaper to buy a house close by and live there. You didn't mention how far, unfortunately.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk apologies if it sounds that way. Most really good repeaters are going to have a coverage of about 18-22 miles in a radius. Even those repeaters are up on towers with pricey antennas and gear. Then throw linked repeaters, everyone in the footprint of all those repeaters would be hearing the conversation, as well as tying up those frequencies.

Even amateur (ham) would have a tough time covering those distances reliably. Radio frequencies is subject to a lot of different things, like terrain, distance, atmospheric conditions.

Have you thought about ip radio like zello?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The Southwest Community Radio System (SWCRS), which is part of the Tucson GMRS Club, has linked repeaters in New Mexico and Arizona.  I know SWCRS some how is linked with another system(s) because when they conduct their Tech Nets they are also linked with Stations in Texas, Colorado, and Utah. I'm not sure what repeaters/system in Texas they are linked up with but, it may be worth while to look into this and this just may address your question.

You might want to start with www.tucsongmrs.org

I'm a new user to GMRS myself so this might be wrong.  The short answer is yes, you could link to him by repeaters.  The problem is the repeaters need to be connected (hence networked (NET)) to each other.  As already addressed anyone with the same setups could listen to your conversation. 

If you listened to the guys through MYGMRS.com they just talk like they are on the phone to each other.  😄  Those using the MidWest 169 hub will talk your ear off.