Repeater frequencies and usage

WRXH357

So I'll try to keep the question simple so I can understand how all this works in the GMRS world.  For the record the radio I'm using is the KG-1000G+ which has been really awesome so far.

Here's my "issue": 

I get approval to use #1 repeater in my area along with access to #2 repeater in my area.  As far as I can tell through MYGMRS these repeaters are easily 50+ miles apart.  They both use the same configuration of tones.  I loaded my radio with both repeaters to know which one I was receiving on.  I use the scan feature on the radio to run through the GMRS channels as well as those that I loaded into the radio.   I tend to travel between these two repeaters, yet I do get some receive through the "middle" or far end range.  In short sometimes during a scan stop the radio shows #1 repeater yet it's #2 repeater who is actually talking.   Okay.  

Now I'm confused to the whole "repeater access" thing.  I got the radio setup, it will communicate on either repeater, yet #1 has not been approved while #2 has been approved.  Now adding more confusion there's TONS of open repeaters that use the same frequency and tone.  

Do I need to add each individual repeater as a channel in my radio??  I'd have 100 channels all on the same frequency/tone just to use a different name to ID the repeater.  That would seem to slow down my scan rate.  Or should I just "batch" repeaters under one radio channel name??

It seems like they all have the same phone number yet it depends on were I'm driving through to "see" the caller ID.  😄

I know this post might be all over the place so I'll answer any questions to help you help me.  😅

So I'll try to keep the question simple so I can understand how all this works in the GMRS world.  For the record the radio I'm using is the KG-1000G+ which has been really awesome so far.
Here's my "issue": 
I get approval to use #1 repeater in my area along with access to #2 repeater in my area.  As far as I can tell through MYGMRS these repeaters are easily 50+ miles apart.  They both use the same configuration of tones.  I loaded my radio with both repeaters to know which one I was receiving on.  I use the scan feature on the radio to run through the GMRS channels as well as those that I loaded into the radio.   I tend to travel between these two repeaters, yet I do get some receive through the "middle" or far end range.  In short sometimes during a scan stop the radio shows #1 repeater yet it's #2 repeater who is actually talking.   Okay.  
Now I'm confused to the whole "repeater access" thing.  I got the radio setup, it will communicate on either repeater, yet #1 has not been approved while #2 has been approved.  Now adding more confusion there's TONS of open repeaters that use the same frequency and tone.  

Do I need to add each individual repeater as a channel in my radio??  I'd have 100 channels all on the same frequency/tone just to use a different name to ID the repeater.  That would seem to slow down my scan rate.  Or should I just "batch" repeaters under one radio channel name??
It seems like they all have the same phone number yet it depends on were I'm driving through to "see" the caller ID.  
I know this post might be all over the place so I'll answer any questions to help you help me.  

Not going to really answer your question, since really it is going to depend on you and how you want it, it really is personal preference.

However, you may want to contact the repeater owners to see if other tones are enabled. Some repeaters, many, will have multiple tones on the same repeater. For various reasons, however since there is no real gmrs coordinator, this can reek havic on other repeaters if those same tones are enabled and they are close enough.

In your case, i imagine the closer repeater has both tones enabled.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

While there is no official coordination for GMRS repeaters the Mygmrs map page can help repeater owners see what’s in an area ahead of choosing a frequency.  At least the ones that are listed. I’m going to guess the tones in question being used would be 141.3. While it’s not a hard fast rule this is generally accepted as a tone used on open repeaters and sometimes referred as the travel tone. That said an owner can still require permission through in my opinion having chosen this tone and or one that overlaps they may want to be somewhat forgiving.

As mentioned by @kidphc it really is up to you how you want to set your radio up. Like you, I have some channel’s and tones installed more than once. For my personal set up I have programmed the first bank of the eight repeater channels with those that are closest to my home. The second bank is all eight repeater channels with the 141.3 tones labeled travel and the number for just that, travel. Finally the banks after that are repeaters I may use when further away from home. In the one case where there is a frequency that is being used twice near me I only entered the one that has more range and I am more inclined to use. I’m aware the other one is there and it’s an open repeater as well. The reason I set things up this way is I can separate repeaters closer to home from others by the use of scan groups. I like being able to only scan one particular group. With all the fire threats here, I have a channel group for the two counties near me so I can be a bit more informed when I’m hearing sirens near me. It came in handy last year as there was a fire less than a mile away.  It’s all your preference and you may find you change things more than once. Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

@WRXH357 don't confuse "simplex" with "split tones." Simplex just means that Tx and Rx are on the same frequency. Repeaters use a 5 MHz offset. Split tones means you use a different tone for Tx and Rx.

Which is practically useless for simplex -- since the person one is communicating with needs to reverse the tones on their radio... Fine with repeaters since everyone sends to the repeater, and it sends to everyone.