Tuner

WRWQ761

Hello everyone! I live near Hagerstown MD and am wondering if anyone could come by or let me borrow their tuner. I made my own g5rv and a hamstick dipole and would really really love to tune them. I cannot hear much of anything (Hf) although I know I am doing it correctly. This is for rx only not that, that should matter. I am genuinely considering giving up. We just do not have the money (or vehicle for that matter) and although I very much enjoy this hobby and making antennas it's just not worth it without something to help me troubleshoot. I'm basically just putting wires around my house and then taking them down a hundred times still not working to it's potential. Thank you. 

Please do not give up - trying is part of the "fun" (although it might not look like it right now).

You are most likely looking for someone with an analyzer to stop by - those devices assess a transmission system (feedline and antenna) and allow for adjustments (optimization) -- a tuner makes electrical adjustments while in use (not something that you can borrow, setup, and return easily).

In any case, that sounds like a job for some local ham (as @BoxCar mentioned) - those are the people with that kind of equipment and knowledge and passion 😉

3 hours ago, WRXD372 said:

Please do not give up - trying is part of the "fun" (although it might not look like it right now).

You are most likely looking for someone with an analyzer to stop by - those devices assess a transmission system (feedline and antenna) and allow for adjustments (optimization) -- a tuner makes electrical adjustments while in use (not something that you can borrow, setup, and return easily).

In any case, that sounds like a job for some local ham (as @BoxCar mentioned) - those are the people with that kind of equipment and knowledge and passion 😉

Aha! Indeed that is correct I am in need  of a analyzer. There is someone in my neighborhood but is not helpful and has a bad attitude when I have even asked questions. There is a club by me but I am unable to make meetings and then being monthly doesn't help. Married with three oldish kids does not lend free time especially coordinated times and dates. I am not sure where else to to look. I just put my g5rv on the roof and it reads (on my Arduino scanner) the exact same. Its a shame to say but I cannot afford what my wife calls "actual" radios (icon, yaesu,Kenwood) but I fear my goals would certainly be accomplished if i did. The bells and whistles are what allow for these things to not have to be a "brick" wall type of situation. At least from the little experience I know that from using a nice receiver. I may just put my radio stuff in a bag for now and try again when things change. I wanted to find a hobby I can do from home and wouldn't cost much. Then I started building antennas and while what I heard is cool, it's getting more frustrating than fun. Thank you all for your replies!

Edited by WRWQ761
Grammar

Yes I understand. I believe you are referring to the nanovna types. I have been aware of these for a while. It's not one piece of the hobby. I think you may have missed that. 

14 hours ago, Lscott said:

Oops.

I don't understand?

I was referring to the physical radio being very expensive. Google Icom lol I don't understand the point of a sdr as I want my radio to be unaffected by cell phone and internet but I know that is an extremely cheap option also.