Baofeng GMRS-9R / UV-9G REVERSE function working???

WRPL700

Question

Howdy:

I have two Baofeng GMRS-9R HTs and I cannot get either one of them to use the REVERSE function on a repeater (to listen to the repeater input).  So, the question is does anyone else have one of these or a UV-9R (which is nearly identical) and can you use the REVERSE function or not???  Just wondering if this is just one of those things that the manufacturer throws in the manual even when it does not work, or am I just not doing it correctly?

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

Yes. According to the UV-9G manual a quick press of the *Scan key is supposed to invoke the "REVERSE" function (see below).  I have of course tried this while on a repeater

channel with no luck.  

image.thumb.png.920120f124a133697163eb5e2dc64008.png

I would like to hear from someone with a UV-9G or the GMRS-9R to see if they have had any better luck with it.

Check page 19 and 20 of your manual. It looks like you need to be in frequency mode. I did try this on my UV-9G and I couldn’t get it to work. Maybe you’ll have better luck. I found the function easier to use on my Wouxun radios fwiw. 

page 19. UV-9G    
6.3 Search CTCSS/DCS Code
With this function you can search and store the CTCSS/DCS code used by other radios. Procedure:
a. In frequency mode press [MENU]+[1][1].
b. Press [MENU] key again.
c. Press [*SCAN] key; CT will blink on the display.
d. When another radio is transmitting, the display will show the CTCSS/DCS code

e. After searching the CTCSS code, the radio will beep and stop scanning.
f. After setting, press [MENU] key for confirmation and store, or press [PTT] or [EXIT] key to return to standby mode. NOTE 1: The DCS scanning has the same procedure of CTCSS code, but you have to select MENU+10 to enter scanning. NOTE 2: If CTCSS has not searched the code, you can search using the DCS mode.

this does not appear to work 😕

1 hour ago, WRPL700 said:

Yes. According to the UV-9G manual a quick press of the *Scan key is supposed to invoke the "REVERSE" function (see below).  I have of course tried this while on a repeater

channel with no luck.  

image.thumb.png.920120f124a133697163eb5e2dc64008.png

I would like to hear from someone with a UV-9G or the GMRS-9R to see if they have had any better luck with it.

Okay follow up. I did try the method you posted which does seem to put the “R” for reverse on the screen in channel mode, on my GT-3WP.  Which is the ham version of the UV-9G but when I try it on the UV-9G it does not work. My assessment is that they printed the same info in the UV-9G manual as the GT-3WP but it only works on the ham radio and not the GMRS. I can confirm that my Wouxun KG-S88G does have this function. 

2 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

Yes, the same effect is true for the Radioddity DB20-G: when out of the box in GMRS mode, using Pushing A-Fun and 6-Rev does not reverse the frequencies.

But in ham radio mode, the Reverse function works.

Interesting. I really don’t understand why they lock it down? Adding insult to injury they print it in the manual as if you could do it. It wouldn’t cost them anymore to make the radio a little bit better. Other manufacturers seem able to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, WRXE944 said:

Are you referring to the Reverse function?

Again, my guess is that it is a historical thing: GMRS radios tend to have "Talk Around" which temporarily switches a Repeater Channel to Simplex on the Output Frequency and only a handful have picked up the historically "ham radio" function of Reverse.

This was discussed in more detail in this thread.

Yes I’m referring to the reverse function. No I’m not talking about talk around.
Both my KG-935 and KG-S88G have it and they’re both GMRS radios. 
As I mentioned before the Boafeng GT-3WP has it which is the ham version of the Boafeng UV-9G. Same radio but the UV-9G is obviously configured for GMRS. Both manuals show it having the function. The UV-9G doesn’t though and my point was there’s no reason it couldn’t or shouldn’t. That’s all. 

<Does your Wouxun KG-XS20G+, "a great little 20 watt mobile for $199" have the Reverse feature? How about your KG-1000G+?>

Yes, the Wouxun KG-XS20G+ and the KG-1000G+ both have it as an option. 

<Have you tried programming these reversed 8 GMRS channels into your GMRS-9R? I acknowledge that some manufacturers may prevent this reversed split to be programmed in as well, so I am a bit curious to see if this workaround works on the GMRS-9R.>

I was just thinking about your suggestion of adding a couple of "receive only" channels with those repeater inputs on my GMRS-9Rs to see how well that works.  Thanks for the suggestions.