UV-9G communications / headset retaining screw size.

WRXW945

I am having a hard time finding the screw size and thread pitch for the screw that holds a headset/communication cable to the uv-9g.  I want to find some thumb screws for easy on/off of head/hand sets and chirp cables.  Does any one happen to know?  If I get around to it and find my extra small pitch gauge, I'll answer my own question in case anyone else needs to know.  

I do not have uv-9g, and I do not sleep with anybody who has it, but I hazard to guess it's metric, and the size is either M2.5 or M3 with a standard pitch. Meaning 2.5mm or 3mm. Find a hardware store that sells metric stuff and try some bolts into that hole.

I have the radio and accessories but my gauge is not going that low :(

I agree that this will be a standard "machine" screw - maybe even M1 - as those radio manufacturers are not reinventing the wheel - they buy off the shelf !

BTW: The same question gas been on reddit for 4 years without an answer other than the hardware store -- did a quick web-search -- you finding out and sharing would be appreciated 👍

17 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

M2.5 x 5 mm, head diameter 6 mm  per this video. The GT-3WP is the same as the UV-9G

Your web-search is better than my web-search !!! 😇

7 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

Your web-search is better than my web-search !!! 😇

I did exactly what you did earlier right down to going into the garage only to find my gauge also didn’t go that small…😆 then it occurred to me to search the GT-3WP and I got lucky 🍀 

Did more digging and found this on youtube, posted 4 years ago and only 444 (now 445) views.

Just in case the vid gets deleted here are the specs:

Diameter - 2.5m

Length - 5mm

Head Diameter - 6mm

Head type - Slotted, knurled, flat head, thumb screw.

Found these on amazon, will try 'em out and report back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJFGGTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would be interesting to see if the screws are the same for Motorola radios since the connector is the same.

24 minutes ago, WRXW945 said:

Did more digging and found this on youtube, posted 4 years ago and only 444 (now 445) views.

Just in case the vid gets deleted here are the specs:

Diameter - 2.5m

Length - 5mm

Head Diameter - 6mm

Head type - Slotted, knurled, flat head, thumb screw.

Found these on amazon, will try 'em out and report back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJFGGTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would be interesting to see if the screws are the same for Motorola radios since the connector is the same.

It’s a good idea to post the specs, but the video is exactly the same one that @WRUU653 posted 7 hours ago.

I found these and at least one review where they used them for this very purpose and gave them 5 stars. I like the wider point of contact for holding the cover down. For me though I just don’t pull the cover that often and don’t mind using a screwdriver. I do appreciate the desire to have the ease of use though. 

17 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I found these and at least one review where they used them for this very purpose and gave them 5 stars. I like the wider point of contact for holding the cover down. For me though I just don’t pull the cover that often and don’t mind using a screwdriver. I do appreciate the desire to have the ease of use though. 

Those look really good and they come in a 5mm version :)

Let's try this ...

8 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

You talked me into it. Just ordered 🙂 the 5mm

And the stock is going down ... Only 2 left in stock - order soon ... when I ordered they had 6 units left 😇

Delivered ... and a perfect fit for the task IF the main focus is on easy attachment and removal

However, without accessory attachment, this head add some "bump" to the radio...

Definitely good for programming and accessory (mic) connectors - easy switch.

But for day to day / port cover use only ... matter of preference or use. I often slight my radio into my back pocket and bump might just get stuck ...

(Baofeng GMRS-9R / BTECH GMRS-PRO / TIDRADIO H8 ham)

The OP should be happy with this solution as this seem to be a perfect fit for his quest :)

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

3 hours ago, WRXD372 said:

However, without accessory attachment, this head add some "bump" to the radio...

Of course there is the option to use a belt sander to reduce the height of the screw. Then use a hacksaw to cut a small slot in the top to use a flat blade screwdriver if necessary.