My repeater is getting hammered - HELP!!

Cactusboy19

You set Pin8 to PL/DPL - CSQ detect on the Repeater's RX (receiver) radio.  This is how you make sure that only intended transmissions (from your group's properly programmed mobile/portable units) will be received on your repeater's 467.xxx frequency.  The transmit radio is then being told to key up upon that receive decode action. There is no need for your Transmit radio to detect incoming PL/DPL.  It's function is to transmit - but you should still generate a PL tone or DPL code for the Transmit output.

Some people try to program the receive and transmit radios the same way  - with the idea that they'll be able to swap them around more quickly once the transmit radio burns up. IMHO that's the wrong move. My take would be to program each radio for it's intended use, and set it up properly the first time.  You can always save & store the codeplugs for later use to reprogram or re-purpose a unit via the Clone function.

If you take the time to set things up properly  - AND TURN DOWN THE TRANSMIT POWER - the repeater will live longer, users will be happier, and you will have more time to go about improving the system instead of thrashing around trying to figure out what broke this time.

Repeater-builder.com is an excellent resource for anyone trying to build, setup, or program their own repeater.

5 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

You set Pin8 to PL/DPL - CSQ detect on the Repeater's RX (receiver) radio.  This is how you make sure that only intended transmissions (from your group's properly programmed mobile/portable units) will be received on your repeater's 467.xxx frequency.  The transmit radio is then being told to key up upon that receive decode action. There is no need for your Transmit radio to detect incoming PL/DPL.  It's function is to transmit - but you should still generate a PL tone or DPL code for the Transmit output.

Some people try to program the receive and transmit radios the same way  - with the idea that they'll be able to swap them around more quickly once the transmit radio burns up. IMHO that's the wrong move. My take would be to program each radio for it's intended use, and set it up properly the first time.  You can always save & store the codeplugs for later use to reprogram or re-purpose a unit via the Clone function.

If you take the time to set things up properly  - AND TURN DOWN THE TRANSMIT POWER - the repeater will live longer, users will be happier, and you will have more time to go about improving the system instead of thrashing around trying to figure out what broke this time.

Repeater-builder.com is an excellent resource for anyone trying to build, setup, or program their own repeater.

Thank you, I am pretty sure this fixed my issue. Cant believe I have probably been running my repeater like this for years.

Thanks for all your help.