Scan list?

JamesBrox

Coming from the scanner world. I've quickly learned that the scan rate on a gmrs radio is very, very, very slow. Which is ok. I get it. My question to the group....How do y'all set up scanning on your gmrs radios or do you at all? At my location, it's quiet. So simplex is not scanned, right now. But RPT 15-22 does hear comms. on the base and mobile units.  Am I going about this the right way to reach out? Thanks

WRXU693 James

When I go off-roading I always have my mobile radio set to scan all channels.

But GMRS isnt really intended to "reach out" - it is more of a person-to-person radio service and is not the best choice for finding strangers to chat with.  For that, H.A.M. radio or the Grinder app are probably a better choice. 

1 hour ago, JamesBrox said:

Coming from the scanner world. I've quickly learned that the scan rate on a gmrs radio is very, very, very slow. Which is ok. I get it. My question to the group....How do y'all set up scanning on your gmrs radios or do you at all? At my location, it's quiet. So simplex is not scanned, right now. But RPT 15-22 does hear comms. on the base and mobile units.  Am I going about this the right way to reach out? Thanks

WRXU693 James

I have my various radios setup for scanning. The channels are programmed for FRS, narrow band. Most of the simplex traffic is done using cheap FRS radios used by local businesses, hotels etc., and kids. Businesses use them due to the low cost and no license requirements. The legitimate GMRS traffic is normally on the local repeaters. 

Additionally I have various business band specific frequencies programmed to monitor things like a couple of local malls security activities. At times that can get very interesting. 

5 hours ago, JamesBrox said:

I've quickly learned that the scan rate on a gmrs radio is very, very, very slow. Which is ok. I get it. My question to the group....How do y'all set up scanning on your gmrs radios or do you at all?

Sure, proper scanner has a supersonic scan rate, comparing to a normal CCR, that is like a slug on a cold day. Different weight categories. However, my Kenwood TK-3170 scans fifteen 462MHz channels in about 2 seconds.  Not as terrible as CCR, but not a proper scanner territory. My mobile TK-880 has a similar scan rate. With that said, I only scan when deep in the woods, since normally I'm not interested in talking to strangers.