USB Battery Charging

WRWH978

Question

I own several BTECH and Radioddity (GM-30) radios for having the ability to charge via a USB-C cable, say if out hiking and using an anker cell phone battery to recharge in the backpack. Anyone own similar radios for this feature? Any pros/cons that you have found? I do like getting away from the charging dock for portability/convenience in the field. I also have a couple of midland frs radios that will do this, I wish they had more radios that featured this option. 

5 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I have gotten in the habit when I order a new radio that I just bite the bullet and order a second battery and rotate them. 

That is what I have done as well. Now that the 935G Plus is out I bought an extra battery with C port. It fits the 935G, 935G Plus, and the 905G. It is 2600mah vs. 3200 mah but it still last all day. When it comes to batteries, especially when away from a 120V AC outlet, two is one and one is none. That goes for other things as well.

43 minutes ago, WRWH978 said:

I own several BTECH and Radioddity (GM-30) radios for having the ability to charge via a USB-C cable, say if out hiking and using an anker cell phone battery to recharge in the backpack. Anyone own similar radios for this feature? Any pros/cons that you have found? I do like getting away from the charging dock for portability/convenience in the field. I also have a couple of midland frs radios that will do this, I wish they had more radios that featured this option. 

Sounds like a good set-up.

I recently used my Anker battery for charging just to monitor the process (built in meter / gauge).

In any case: Check that the charging cable actually works !

BTECH prefers "plain" usb-a charging and (in my experience) refuses usb-c to usb-c with a clever charger.

(I guess that BTECH is using 5V .5 or 1 A only and cannot deal with advanced power supply)

I have a several  Wouxun radios, different models, that have USB-C. Two have batteries with USB-C ports and one that has the USB-C port on the radio itself. All of them will charge with a USB-A to USB-C cable off of standard chargers and 65W charger. None of the three would charge using USB-C to USB-C.

The radio with the charge port is a KG-S88G, a great little radio.

The batteries were from a KG-UV9PX and the KG-935G Plus, a really great radio.

Even though I can't use the C-C (PD) charging cable I like the idea of being able to charge from USB. Not have to lug a desktop charger on road trips is great. Carryuing a couple of power packs is still smaller and can be used off grid.

I also have this for the KG-S88G and the KG-935 plus. I particularly use the USB charging with the 935 as I can plug it right into the battery (no cover to remove). As mentioned it’s handy not to have to use a desktop charger.  That said I can confirm that my charging experience is the same as@WRHS218. I am not able to charge USB-C to USB-C. I have gotten in the habit when I order a new radio that I just bite the bullet and order a second battery and rotate them.