TELEVISION BROADCAST ON FRS CH7

ULTRA2

I'm sure this question has been asked, but is it legal to broadcast Television programs on FRS? I thought it's illegal on all band correct me if I'm wrong.

Every morning I scan all band as a hobby of mine when it came on the 462mhz the scan stops on FRS7(462.7125) and I pick up a faint but readable signal. Not regular transmission but like a program of some sort being broadcasted. What my question is it legal? Thanks in advance.

Hopefully I posted this on the right location if not feel free to move it.

29 minutes ago, ULTRA2 said:

I'm sure this question has been asked, but is it legal to broadcast Television programs on FRS? I thought it's illegal on all band correct me if I'm wrong.

Every morning I scan all band as a hobby of mine when it came on the 462mhz the scan stops on FRS7(462.7125) and I pick up a faint but readable signal. Not regular transmission but like a program of some sort being broadcasted. What my question is it legal? Thanks in advance.

Poorly maintained transmitters can transmit on secondary frequencies or spill over widely around their primary frequency.

Poor quality receivers can receive nearby frequencies.

Several UHF TV channels exist in the 470-490 MHz range. You may just be hearing one of them. 

I suspect overload or mixing from an FM broadcast transmitter(s) and another signal(s).  Could also be some sort of wireless TV or headphone extender if only copied over a small distance.  There is so much stuff coming out of China it is impossible to keep track.

Inadequate filtering in budget radio receivers will allow many spurious signals to be received.  External filtering may eliminate the issue if this is the case.

DTV signals would not be detected by an FM receiver as clear voice.

There are very little (or maybe no) remaining analog TV stations left in the US.  Those that may remain are low power translators to the best of my knowledge.  Some cable TV stations may still be transmitting analog signals to customers still using analog TV receivers and leakage from cable systems falls on top of a wide frequency range (7 to 1000 MHz).  CATV 64 is in the GMRS frequency range.  If the local cable company is sending analog on those frequencies and has leaky cable lines it could be detected with an FM receiver. 

6 hours ago, markskjerve said:

I pickup television remote operations audio frequently that broadcast both the TV stations audio and the live reporting stream on a repeater. Not on GMRS though, they run 451.xxx in my area. Maybe you have something similar in your area running on a legacy license or picking up a harmonic on that frequency.

Yes 451 MHz here locally is used by local television stations and also their news helicopters However this signal I'm receiving is defiantly on the 462MHz side.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, Sshannon said:

Poorly maintained transmitters can transmit on secondary frequencies or spill over widely around their primary frequency.

Poor quality receivers can receive nearby frequencies.

Several UHF TV channels exist in the 470-490 MHz range. You may just be hearing one of them. 

I can understand if this happens once in a while, but it's happening everyday. The thing is that the signal will one day comes in strong and there's day it's weak. (But on 462MHz that's quite far to be receiving anything from 470-490 range)

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2023 at 2:08 PM, ULTRA2 said:

Technically, according to FCC Rules & Regulations regarding two-way radio service in general, it's forbidden for anyone regardless of Radio Service to Rebroadcast Commercial TV or Radio programs. Sometimes you have those mishaps when you for to lower the volume on your TV or your general broadcast radio, those are often overlooked.  Even Rebroadcasting for another two-way radio service is forbidden by FCC R&Rs.

I don't like someone's gone to say to post, No Doh! I know the Majority of us are well aware we can and can't do or shouldn't do on any Radio Service.

34 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Since this subject was revisited, it could be as simple as someone leaving a radio on VOX near a TV or broadcast radio receiver. 

Got a point there! Most PSEs I've been on insisted everyone's HT had his or VOX disabled. Then again, I would try to keep all background noise to a low volume.

On 9/9/23 I was driving in Santa Barbra along the coast and had my radio on scan and I picked up a live surf competition being broadcast from San Clemente.  I believe it was on 450.500 which is one of the local PD frequencies near my home about an hour north of where I was. The broadcast was a good 150-160 miles from me staight across the water. Zero obstructions. I confirmed what I was hearing when I got home by the names of the surfers and where they surfed that day. Radio waves be crazy. 😂

Why do I remember the day? It was the day I took my ham test. 

I've had experience using GMRS Long Before I was even licensed for both. Back in 1993 or 94 the Philadelphia Operation Town Watch groups were migrating from 11m to GMRS. Our group TACONY had two board members that were licensed. According to the Rules & Regulations, every member should have applied for their License, since it was group and not family. As far as GMRS Part 95 Type Accepted Radios, they really weren't any.  The City of Philadelphia issued some radios to each group, but those radios weren't Typed Accepted. By 1998 & 99 we went GMRS to LMR system, because licensing term were longer and the radios were already typed accepted for Business Band.

On 11/7/2023 at 4:45 PM, WRUU653 said:

On 9/9/23 I was driving in Santa Barbra along the coast and had my radio on scan and I picked up a live surf competition being broadcast from San Clemente.  I believe it was on 450.500 which is one of the local PD frequencies near my home about an hour north of where I was. The broadcast was a good 150-160 miles from me staight across the water. Zero obstructions. I confirmed what I was hearing when I got home by the names of the surfers and where they surfed that day. Radio waves be crazy. 😂

Why do I remember the day? It was the day I took my ham test. 

The frequency(ies) for remote microphones that TV broadcasters use are around the 450 freqs and most likely the signal was skipping across the water.