AnyTone AT-D878UV II Plus GMRS?

WRYF792

1 hour ago, WRXE944 said:

I believe the 878 is an analog/DMR Ham Radio and as such, it is probably blocked from transmitting outside the Ham bands, like GMRS. 

This.

They generally ship locked down to prevent transmit outside the ham bands. However, I believe they do (or some models, anyway) have part 90 (no 95e though) approval, and the ability to open them up to additional ranges via the software, in theory with the appropriate restrictions for part 90 usage.

15 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

This.

They generally ship locked down to prevent transmit outside the ham bands. However, I believe they do (or some models, anyway) have part 90 (no 95e though) approval, and the ability to open them up to additional ranges via the software, in theory with the appropriate restrictions for part 90 usage.

I went with my girlfriends dad to a local ham radio outlet because I got him interested in ham and GMRS. This anytone was one of 4 ht's they had they were selling as GMRS. My issue was 100% user error. It was setup with 3 beeps before transmitting, so I assumed this meant it was blocking me out from transmitting. User error is a killer for me! 

However, it was stupid how they shipped the radio with a total menu lock that per the manual, can only be disabled by programming the radio. Which gave me trouble because I wasn’t even able to disable this without updating the firmware first. I love the radio and I’d love to get one for myself, but that factory lockout is really annoying. Especially when you’re not expecting it!

2 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

However, it was stupid how they shipped the radio with a total menu lock that per the manual, can only be disabled by programming the radio. Which gave me trouble because I wasn’t even able to disable this without updating the firmware first. I love the radio and I’d love to get one for myself, but that factory lockout is really annoying. Especially when you’re not expecting it!

Sounds like it may have been shipped in part 90 ("professional") mode then, which disallows most programming from the face.

2 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

The FCC is cracking down on radios that are certified Part 90 but have front panel programming enabled. I believe the Part 90 rules prohibit users to have access to any frequency programming controls. So they CYA themselves by locking out the feature. You then need to specifically enable it through a menu setting or the programming software.

I believe the 878 is an analog/DMR Ham Radio and as such, it is probably blocked from transmitting outside the Ham bands, like GMRS. 

SoCo Ham Radio on YouTube has a tutorial that I believe shows how to enable this.

From looking at the mode 14 line, it appears to include the frequency range for GMRS, I’m still relatively new at this too.

If you did enable GMR Xe, you would have to have an antenna that was compatible with the frequency range