Connecting to Repeater

Guest Kevin

Hello,

I recently received access to a repeater and received the following information: RX/TX Frequency and RX/TX Tone.  I am on the correct frequency because I can hear the traffic on the repeater.  However, they cannot hear me.

I have a Midland MXT400 - do I need to tune DCS/CTCSS to the RX/TX tones?  If anyone could provide a step-by-step on what I need to check for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kevin

2 hours ago, Guest Kevin said:

Hello,

I recently received access to a repeater and received the following information: RX/TX Frequency and RX/TX Tone.  I am on the correct frequency because I can hear the traffic on the repeater.  However, they cannot hear me.

I have a Midland MXT400 - do I need to tune DCS/CTCSS to the RX/TX tones?  If anyone could provide a step-by-step on what I need to check for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kevin

First, you must select a repeater channel.  Repeater channels and simplex channels will both receive the repeater transmissions, but only repeater channels transmit on the correct frequencies for the repeater.

Second, you must transmit on the repeater channel using either the CTCSS or DCS tone that the repeater requires as its “Input” tone.  Transmissions received by the repeater that don’t include the correct tone are ignored.

For instructions on how to set your CTCSS or DCS tones, your instruction manual is your best reference.  I don’t have an MXT400. Maybe someone who has one can answer more specific questions.