Increasing my performance in a valley

WRWK533

New to GMRS still. I was wondering why I was having so much trouble hitting closeby local repeaters and didn't hear much of anything. I looked at a topographic map of my area and realized I live in the lowest part of town. By over 100 feet I am in a river valley. 

I have the option to put up an antenna on my house, but it would only be about a 5 foot antenna extending above a 30 foot roof. 

What is going to be my best bang for the buck in terms of improving my range?

11 minutes ago, WRWK533 said:

Presently I just have a handheld, UV-5G with the stock antenna. I am willing to put up an external antenna and buy a base station, but not if it's going to bring minimal results given my low elevation.

It’s entirely possible that you’re blocked by the structures and topography of the town.  It’s also possible that your radio isn’t sensitive enough. Sensitivity is a problem with inexpensive radios, but being blocked is more likely the reason for your problems.  

Can you see the location of the repeater?

Could you see it if you were higher?

How close are you to the repeater?

Is there a location that’s on the same line from the repeater, but higher, even if it’s further out? Go for a drive to see.

A higher antenna is generally better, but if it’s not, getting a base station isn’t necessarily going to solve the issue.

1 hour ago, WRWK533 said:

Presently I just have a handheld, UV-5G with the stock antenna. I am willing to put up an external antenna and buy a base station, but not if it's going to bring minimal results given my low elevation.

If safe (always like to throw that in there), try taking your hand held up on the roof and see if that improves your position enough. You may get an idea if it’s worth putting an antenna up. Also if you know where the repeater is you can get an idea of line if site using a tool like this

2 hours ago, WRWK533 said:

Are you trying to access the repeater from inside your house with the HT and just the stock antenna? 

10 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It’s entirely possible that you’re blocked by the structures and topography of the town.  It’s also possible that your radio isn’t sensitive enough. Sensitivity is a problem with inexpensive radios, but being blocked is more likely the reason for your problems.  

Can you see the location of the repeater?

Could you see it if you were higher?

How close are you to the repeater?

Is there a location that’s on the same line from the repeater, but higher, even if it’s further out? Go for a drive to see.

A higher antenna is generally better, but if it’s not, getting a base station isn’t necessarily going to solve the issue.

No, not from the ground. 

Yes, I'd have to be pretty high though.

5 ish miles.

Possibly, I'll need to check.

8 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

Are you trying to access the repeater from inside your house with the HT and just the stock antenna? 

Yes

29 minutes ago, WRWK533 said:

Yes

That's kind of a losing battle. Your signal gets eaten by the structure of your house. Try it outside where there are few(er) obstructions. If it works better, a better outside antenna mounted higher with decent coax should help. I'm sure others will pontificate further.

Another thing you might consider is doing is:

1. Get a cheap magnetic NMO mount and antenna, something like: https://a.co/d/fL53Q6C . 

(I know others will say its junk and to get the midland stealth or MTXA26, but were testing and want cheap. Plus you can still use the mag mount and get another antenna.  MTXA26 and Midland mag mount links incase you want to pay for good stuff https://a.co/d/2GPfkmc  https://a.co/d/1Hoan00)

2. Magnet it to the center of a steel sheet pan and place it in an open window on your top floor aimed at the repeater.

(you'll need an adaptor like https://a.co/d/9q4bDhf to attach it to to your HT.)

3. Test if you can hit the repeater.

Additionally, there is 18' ish of cable so you could potentially place the antenna and pan on your roof or even mag mount antenna on the roof of your vehicle for mobile testing.

Good Luck!

Edit: Saw this on Notarubicon.  Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Edited by WRXW945
Forgot to cite source.