New radio

WRYB860

Question

6 answers to this question

What do you mean "open carrier" ... Do you mean you are getting the "kerchunk"/click/static sound back?  If so, then you are hitting the repeater and it is entirely possible (probable, on many repeaters) that nobody is listening to answer you.

If you mean something else by 'open carrier', please elaborate.

Remember: GMRS is primarily intended for you and your friend/group to stay in communication with each other while hiking/off-roading, etc. It is not primarily intended to find/talk to strangers.

yes to the kerchunk/click/static sound back, is it possible the mike is messed up not getting my voice out but still able to trip the repeater, I loaded up a bunch of emergency frequencies for scanning the way you had shown in your videos, yes, you might say I'm a fan, the scanning channels I loaded are working great, just want to make sure people can hear me also want to make sure I didn't get a dud (lemon), I know it's only 25.00, just want to make sure it works right, I have found that I can't do a busy channel lockout either by input on the key pad or through chirp so I have my mind thinking there could be other issues

Equipment problems are always possible. How far are you from the repeater? Have you spent any time listening to the repeater you programmed and have transmitted to? Have you heard any other traffic on that repeater. Try monitoring  that repeater and If/when you hear any traffic try asking for a radio check  when there is a break in the conversation. As most people use GMRS to talk to family and friends they might be more willing to help someone asking for a radio check rather than someone looking for a random contact. If you are out and about you could program other near by repeaters and see if you can get a response on another machine.

As the crow flys I,m not even an 1/8th of a mile from the repeater which sits at the top of the mountain, I'm about halfway down the road, had the radio on the repeater programmed channel just about all day yesterday didn't hear a soul, did hear the morse code beeps every so often

33 minutes ago, WRYB860 said:

As the crow flys I,m not even an 1/8th of a mile from the repeater which sits at the top of the mountain, I'm about halfway down the road, had the radio on the repeater programmed channel just about all day yesterday didn't hear a soul, did hear the morse code beeps every so often

It sounds like there isn't much traffic on that repeater. If you are hearing the station ID in morse code that shows the repeater is operational. Keep listening and if/when you hear people talking wait until there is a break in the conversation and ask for a radio check. If someone answers you then you can ask them about the amount of traffic that repeater normally experiences.

I want to thank you guys for your assistance, you were right, a little bit of persistence paid off tonight, was picked up by a gentleman approx.. 40 miles away as the crow fly's, speaking to me from his residence which is on a mountain side, in his home he picked up my transmission stating I was coming in nice and clear; his transmission reached me very good as well.

Thanks again guys... 👍