Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWK521
  • Ham Callsign:KD8DVR

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

There are some kenwood models that will do MDC, depending on firmware, or option board. I find that on most GMRS systems MDC is not a problem, but transmit an MDC on a ham repeater and you'll find out who hates the commercial stuff real quick!

Yeah...on the ham repeaters, I call it "whacker tone", cuz those emcomm guys who are wannabe cops. Of course, GMRS is a different animal and is commonly accepted.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

#22 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

Yeah...on the ham repeaters, I call it "whacker tone", cuz those emcomm guys who are wannabe cops. Of course, GMRS is a different animal and is commonly accepted.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

I use it to keep the Baofengs off…and keep people using radios actually designed for channelized use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • jwilkers likes this

#23 Robby

Robby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPC925

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

I love MDC. All of my radios do it. I wont buy a radio and use it on GMRS unless it does MDC. I've also got a Kenwood TK-3312 which does both MDC1200 and Fleetsync.

MDC can do alot of other things besides PTT ID. I have seen a list that consists of Stun, Kill, Revive, Radio Check. Anybody know what all of that means? I only use it for the PTT ID cause i like the sound.

Also since this topic is here, Does anyone know of a UHF mobile radio that is capable of 50 watts of output AND has MDC?  The closest i have found are 45 watts. 

#24 gatekeep

gatekeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

I love MDC. All of my radios do it. I wont buy a radio and use it on GMRS unless it does MDC. I've also got a Kenwood TK-3312 which does both MDC1200 and Fleetsync.

MDC can do alot of other things besides PTT ID. I have seen a list that consists of Stun, Kill, Revive, Radio Check. Anybody know what all of that means? I only use it for the PTT ID cause i like the sound.

Also since this topic is here, Does anyone know of a UHF mobile radio that is capable of 50 watts of output AND has MDC?  The closest i have found are 45 watts. 

Stun/Kill is used to 'inhibit' a radio, what effectively happens is when a radio capable of MDC receives this command, the radio appears to 'die', the radio isn't actually dead however, it is just sitting in a state of limbo quietly receiving on the frequency that stunned it waiting for a revive command. Yes MDC is capable of performing radio inhibit, typically once inhibited the only way to revive the radio is to either transmit the revive command or other methods involving the factory (or tools if your that kind of person).

Revive does the reverse of Stun/Kill which assuming the 'stunned' radio is still turned on, will let the radio resume normal operation.

Radio Check is typically sent from another radio to 'ping' (kinda like you would ping an IP on a PC).

There are a dozen other commands MDC supports as well such as paging, calling, etc etc. I only described the 3 you asked about.

- Bryan

"12 volt radios are for wimps, real radios can *KILL* you."

#25 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Trust me, 5 measly watts isn't going to make any practical difference in performance. If 45 watts won't work well, neither will 50 watts. :lol:

• Logan5, SteveC7010, Corey and 1 other like this

#26 WQPE714

WQPE714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPE714

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:42 AM

I hear lots of mexicans on GMRS speaking spanish using the ANI DTMF as the roger beeps for their radios when they're a pirating.

#27 Durake

Durake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRowlett, Texas.
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXR714
  • Ham Callsign:K5DUR

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

I use MDC with the last 3 numbers of my callsign as well.

We have a REACT Repeater here they've opened up for non member use and occasionally you'll hear: "SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-" just over and over again.. Lol. 

Sometimes I'll hear it on DPD, I'm sure the Dispatchers get tired of it.. I heard it one time last for about 3 minutes straight, Dispatch trying to talk over them: "Units, check your mics!" and it just kept on going.. "All units go to channel x" Looooord man.. The funniest thing was the ID on it decoded to 0069 for me.. ;)

Drake Robinson | "Motoballa"

EMS Dispatcher @ Mount Hope, WV

Dallas County REACT183

#28 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

I use MDC with the last 3 numbers of my callsign as well.

We have a REACT Repeater here they've opened up for non member use and occasionally you'll hear: "SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-SQUACK-" just over and over again.. Lol.

Sometimes I'll hear it on DPD, I'm sure the Dispatchers get tired of it.. I heard it one time last for about 3 minutes straight, Dispatch trying to talk over them: "Units, check your mics!" and it just kept on going.. "All units go to channel x" Looooord man.. The funniest thing was the ID on it decoded to 0069 for me.. ;)

Scrub PL from signaling.

#29 Mat 581

Mat 581

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • GMRS Callsign:WQUC581
  • Ham Callsign:KC8NZJ

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:07 AM

So I'm sure many of us use Motorola radios. How many of you are using MDC? How are you determining what to use as an ID?

Well I like to use it when possible, and I like to use the last 3 numbers of my call sign as the ID number.

MDC only exists on stolen police radios.

#30 Durake

Durake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRowlett, Texas.
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXR714
  • Ham Callsign:K5DUR

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

If your telling me the brand spanking new radio I bought from a Motorola Radio Dealer is stolen because it has MDC, check again.. Most of my radios have MDC loaded.. lol.

Drake Robinson | "Motoballa"

EMS Dispatcher @ Mount Hope, WV

Dallas County REACT183

#31 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

What a strange and inaccurate claim! My XPR7550 certainly has MDC available, and it darn sure isn't a "stolen police radio!"
rJIr2.png

#32 cdesigns

cdesigns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:askme
  • Ham Callsign:askme

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

:(  I feel left out, my Vertex Radios VX400's and VX2500's require a separate board if I'm not mistaken. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users