Talkpod a36 not working with repeaters

WRYN382

Question

I've had a talkpod a36 for a week and fought through programming first on talkpod software, then chirp. I still can't open repeaters even though I've tried several times with this radio and the second replacement radio. I corrected the offset in chirp to be 5mhz, not the 3mhz it was factory programmed with. 

So far the best I've done is get static out of the repeater after my end of transmission. I was not able to get any audio through the repeater. 

Any thoughts?

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Blaise said:

I can open the repeater just fine, but a local handheld doesn't receive the audio.  However, multiple radio-checks confirm that folks *not* in my house are receiving the audio from my repeater calls...

That sounds very much like desense.  Your transmitted signal is overloading the frontend on the other HT and it cannot "hear" the repeater.

Get someone to take the second HT outside to the end of the driveway and see if that works better.

Desense is a possibility.  I've only tried it from opposite sides of the house, as that's the farthest I can hear from, and my family is utterly uninterested in being a part of this madness, as my wife puts it...

But if it *were* desense, wouldn't I not receive the repeater's tail, either?  Or is that fraction of a second enough for things to de-saturate?

1 hour ago, Blaise said:

But if it *were* desense, wouldn't I not receive the repeater's tail, either?  Or is that fraction of a second enough for things to de-saturate?

Correct.  The squelch tail is *after* the transmission through the repeater stops.  That's why you can key up a repeater and then hear the tail after you unkey.