Channel/frequency question

WRWI380

Question

I used to be able to hit a repeater consistently about 38 miles away with a midland 575. Recently am not able to make contact with the repeater. Ruled out equipment failures as I just purchased a kg1000g with nogoya antenna and new cable, same issue. Just realized tonight I was able to check into the local net and hit the repeater from repeater channel 16 (TX467.5750)(RX462.5750) but can’t hardly receive anything. RX tone is off. But I receive with full signal on repeater channel 20 (TX467.6750)(RX462.6750). Tone is still correct and have the same tx tone on both channels. What am I doing wrong?

@WRUU653 I’m actually driving south today and repeater channel 16 is clear 5x5. I’m passing caballo as I write this. So seems like I’m getting into caballo from home but not capilla (they share the same tx tone). I used to hit capilla easy and it’s much closer (38 miles) and I can actually see the mountain it’s on 

14 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

@WRUU653 I’m actually driving south today and repeater channel 16 is clear 5x5. I’m passing caballo as I write this. So seems like I’m getting into caballo from home but not capilla (they share the same tx tone). I used to hit capilla easy and it’s much closer (38 miles) and I can actually see the mountain it’s on 

There could be something happening with the Capilla repeater I suppose. It’s cool you can hit Caballo. With the repeaters antennas on mountains you’d be surprised how far and clear you can hit. Saturday morning I reached a local repeater where I live from 70 miles out because I was up on a mountain and had line of site.  You may already be aware of this site but if not this is the tool I use to check line of site around me. 

@WRUU653 I live in the valley along the river on a farm. I’m very surprised I can hit caballo but maybe if my signal goes straight south and caballo is up on a mountain they’d pry be close to the same elevation. I’ll have to reach out to the swcrs and see what they say about the capilla repeater. I don’t think it’s off because I still receive on repeater channel 20. 

On 9/11/2023 at 6:48 AM, WRWI380 said:

@WRUU653 I live in the valley along the river on a farm. I’m very surprised I can hit caballo but maybe if my signal goes straight south and caballo is up on a mountain they’d pry be close to the same elevation. I’ll have to reach out to the swcrs and see what they say about the capilla repeater. I don’t think it’s off because I still receive on repeater channel 20. 

I just checked the current status and it shows the Repeater on the air and is an open access repeater. What tone are you using?