Channel/frequency question

WRWI380

Question

I used to be able to hit a repeater consistently about 38 miles away with a midland 575. Recently am not able to make contact with the repeater. Ruled out equipment failures as I just purchased a kg1000g with nogoya antenna and new cable, same issue. Just realized tonight I was able to check into the local net and hit the repeater from repeater channel 16 (TX467.5750)(RX462.5750) but can’t hardly receive anything. RX tone is off. But I receive with full signal on repeater channel 20 (TX467.6750)(RX462.6750). Tone is still correct and have the same tx tone on both channels. What am I doing wrong?

3 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

I used to be able to hit a repeater consistently about 38 miles away with a midland 575. Recently am not able to make contact with the repeater. Ruled out equipment failures as I just purchased a kg1000g with nogoya antenna and new cable, same issue. Just realized tonight I was able to check into the local net and hit the repeater from repeater channel 16 (TX467.5750)(RX462.5750) but can’t hardly receive anything. RX tone is off. But I receive with full signal on repeater channel 20 (TX467.6750)(RX462.6750). Tone is still correct and have the same tx tone on both channels. What am I doing wrong?

It may be that you’re doing nothing wrong but something changed with the repeater. 

3 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

462.550 is the repeater frequency. The 575 is not programmable but the kg1000g is. Would changing one of the frequencies fix this?

Only if you know what the new/correct frequency is. and you can do the same on the 575 by just selecting the correct repeater channel if its not already in use.

10 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

462.550 is the repeater frequency. The 575 is not programmable but the kg1000g is. Would changing one of the frequencies fix this?

I don’t see how. If you’re tuned to the correct repeater frequency and no tone and it receives the same on two different radios, the issue sounds like a problem with the transmitter. 

25 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

The 575 is not programmable but the kg1000g is

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. Are you using repeater channels to program or are you on a simplex channel. Channel 16 is not a repeater channel. It is simplex. Repeater have the same frequencies but repeater channels will have the offset built in. No need to change the frequency to account for offset. Repeater channels are generally channels 23-30, 30-38… 

I re-read your post where you say you are on repeater channel 16. So if I misinterpreted what you were saying I mean no disrespect. Just trying to clarify. 

Edited by WRUU653
Clarification

40 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

You should be able to simply set the MXT575 to RP15, which is 462.550 MHz receive and 467.550 MHz transmit. 
For the KG1000g that might be listed as something similar or possibly even channel 23. Look in the manual to be sure. Then, for both radios just make sure to transmit with the right tone. 

23 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

You should be able to simply set the MXT575 to RP15, which is 462.550 MHz receive and 467.550 MHz transmit. 
For the KG1000g that might be listed as something similar or possibly even channel 23. Look in the manual to be sure. Then, for both radios just make sure to transmit with the right tone. 

I get nothing from repeater channel 15 on the MXT575 even with the same tx tone that works on 16

1 minute ago, WRWI380 said:

Here’s another one for you, would they have changed frequencies? Don’t think they’ve changed the privacy code since I have it on the same code on both channels but one works and one doesn’t 

I guess I don’t understand why you keep talking about “both channels.”  What do you mean by that?

19 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Are you certain the repeater is transmitting on 462.550?

Here are the channel numbers according to the MXT575 manual:

IMG_3307.thumb.png.b73c7387fee205e9dbf223df165d0888.png

I’m not sure anymore lol I always used repeater channel 20 to receive and transmit and always had a 5x5 transmission and receive. That’s also the frequency that’s listed on mygmrs maps

4 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I guess I don’t understand why you keep talking about “both channels.”  What do you mean by that?

Repeater channel 16 I can transmit on but receive is full of static. Repeater channel 20 I receive crystal clear but cannot transmit. I have the same privacy code set for both channels  16 and 20

4 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

Repeater channel 16 I can transmit on but receive is full of static. Repeater channel 20 I receive crystal clear but cannot transmit. I have the same privacy code set for both channels  16 and 20

And you’re sure it’s the same repeater?

It’s possible (unlikely, but possible) that you’re trying to use a repeater that splits itself to receive on 467.575 and transmits on 462.675. 
I don’t know why it would, but maybe you can program the Wouxun to transmit on 467.575 and receive on 462.675.

29 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

One doesn’t have anything to do with the other. They are separate channels, separate frequencies. Separate repeaters. The tones on one are irrelevant to the other. It only matters that you match the tones the repeater is set for. With this in mind I would focus on one repeater at a time. One problem at a time. The Two channel thing is confusing the issue. 
First thing that strikes me is a common denominator of the problems.
One more thought. As I understand it all your problems are with the Midland. Have you considered the tones numbers are not the same as the Wouxun? What I mean here is are you dealing in the same tone frequency (not number) as the Wouxun?
Can you hear others on either repeater when you are in simplex?

39 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

One doesn’t have anything to do with the other. They are separate channels, separate frequencies. Separate repeaters. The tones on one are irrelevant to the other. It only matters that you match the tones the repeater is set for. With this in mind I would focus on one repeater at a time. One problem at a time. The Two channel thing is confusing the issue. 
First thing that strikes me is a common denominator of the problems.
One more thought. As I understand it all your problems are with the Midland. Have you considered the tones numbers are not the same as the Wouxun? What I mean here is are you dealing in the same tone frequency (not number) as the Wouxun?
Can you hear others on either repeater when you are in simplex?

I believe it’s still the same repeater. I was listening to the SWCRS net this evening and I was listening on repeater channel 20. I was in the tractor messing with the radio and I set the same tone on all repeater channels and keyed up every repeater channel and got a squelch tail on repeater channel 16. So I waited on repeater channel 20 which I can hear the net clear as day until they asked for new check ins. I switched back to channel 16. Checked in got the squelch tail and tone back from repeater, quickly switched back to repeater 20 and and head the operator acknowledge they heard me and got me checked in. Pretty sure it’s the same repeater as I live in a farming valley with no other repeaters near me  

14 minutes ago, WRWI380 said:

I was listening to the SWCRS net

Okay now we are getting somewhere.  There's like two dozen repeaters that are part of the SWCRS system and they are not all on the same frequency. It is likely that you are being heard on one and you are hearing on another and the tones may not be exactly the same. So no, they are not the same repeater if they are on different frequencies they are different repeaters. They are likely linked via the interwebs, the dubya dubya dubya, the great tubalicious. "All SWCRS repeaters are part of a linked network unless noted otherwise; a transmission on one repeater will be heard on all other repeaters within that service". You need to look at them as separate. figure out which one you can reach and make sure you have the proper tones set for TX and RX.

Personaly I'm not a fan of such linking... talk about tying up frequencies. Just because you can dosn't mean you should but I digress, maybe I'm missing somthing here, maybe it's less busy out there...

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e59a4d6e87c302a4b6893a479d2e3b15.jpg

Looks like you are in the cross hairs of three repeaters. All different frequencies and different tones too. So that’s why you are heard on one. Then with no RX tone set on the other you can hear on that one but since it’s not the same tone as the other repeater you aren’t getting in.
Go and look at the tones for each repeater. Program your repeater channels according to each repeater’s settings and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Side note, this was kind of a unique problem. Most areas don’t have linked repeaters on GMRS within range of each other and on different frequencies with different tones. Because it’s linked, a transmission on one frequency is potentially tying up other frequencies in the same area at the same time. Kind of messy.

image.thumb.jpeg.996d8ab9c3dcbfac64835a5e2e9527d5.jpeg

Edited by WRUU653
Clarity

@WRUU653 caballo and capilla have the same tone number but different frequencies according to mygmrs maps. I can see the mountain capilla is on. Don’t think i can hit datil from here there’s a pretty big mountain range in between. Datil has a different tone and I’ve actually recently been out there and made contact through it. The caballo is south, about 85 miles and lower elevation. Maybe I’m getting in but I’d think that’s a stretch?