New here!

WRYS807

Just got into the world of GMRS as of a couple days ago. I have purchased a pair of Midland T290 radios. Understanding they are pre-programmed and from what I can tell are working fine. Any advice on using radios and etiquette specifically so that I’m not one of those stupid newbies, that know absolutely nothing and mess up a good thing for all the other people out there. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, WRYS807 said:

Just got into the world of GMRS as of a couple days ago. I have purchased a pair of Midland T290 radios. Understanding they are pre-programmed and from what I can tell are working fine. Any advice on using radios and etiquette specifically so that I’m not one of those stupid newbies, that know absolutely nothing and mess up a good thing for all the other people out there. Thanks. 

Welcome!

Almost every single one of us agonizes about etiquette when we’re first getting started. With GMRS it’s less rigid, with the possible exception of some people who came from more rigorous services. 
Listen before speaking.

After pushing the PTT, give yourself a second before speaking. 
Similarly, don’t let up on the PRT until a second after you stop talking.

Identify yourself periodically, such as when you’re first speaking, about every fifteen minutes during a conversation, and when you’re ending your conversation. 
If you forget to ID, don’t sweat it. You’ll hear a lot of people who never do. Don’t resent them.

Above all, have fun. Except for having to PTT it’s like a phone.