Why is a Roger beep called a roger beep?

DarrylLicht

In the early days of radio communications a "roger" was used to acknowledge a message or question had been received.  As in the "roger that" phrase used by law enforcement and military

So why is the beep used at the end of TX called a roger beep?   Nobody is acknowledging anything, except the broadcaster/transmitter is saying I'm finished.

I highly doubt the engineer who developed it was called Roger.  LOL

Anyone know why its called a roger beep? 

I remember someone suggesting to call it an over beep.  Or we could call it an Elmer beep just to annoy them more.  But that begs another question:  why is Roger the term for understood?  And why is it Elmer (who was he)?  Elder would make a little more sense.  But then HAM is not a good term either, unless it's short for High frequency AM.  (I've heard the ham-fisted story.)

1 hour ago, DarrylLicht said:

Anyone know why its called a roger beep?

I guess Roger used to be the phonetic for R, which is now Romeo, but was Robert before it was Roger. Hence its use as phonetics for "received". I think Roger beep sounds cooler than Robert beep or Romeo beep, and it was the receiving operator, not the transmitting operator, who said it. Why it ended up as a term for a hyper-annoying tone when you un-key is anyone's guess. Also, every time I go into Ham Radio Outlet, some clever Elmer thinks it's funny to say "Did you know Ham stands for Had Alotta Money?"

Simple answer……

When the chicks see your handheld radio with external speaker mic, clipped to your belt (of course), they will find it very sexy.

When they hear the beep at the end of your radio transmission, it’s just more arousal the human female can bear, so they will demand a good rogering. This is why it’s called a Roger beep.

On 9/17/2023 at 1:38 AM, WRUZ229 said:

When the chicks see your handheld radio with external speaker mic, clipped to your belt (of course), they will find it very sexy.

That only works if you’re wearing a blue uniform with a shinny badge on it. Also it should be one of those huge leather Batman type utility belts with those hand restraints. Gives them crazy ideas.