Will it work?

JamesBrox

Question

I currently have a 40' antenna for my base unit. My base radio is 50w (44.8 to be expect). If I put another antenna up at the same location and height for one of those small self-contend brief case repeater at what.....5w? Will they work together as far as me wanting to TX on the base and the repeater being on the same channel? Or will the base overload the small repeater? Thanks

WRXU693

James

13 answers to this question

If the two radios are not keyed at the same time, they should not interfere with each other.

If the repeater and the base would be keyed at the same time, the stronger signal from the base would likely walk all over the repeater's output. Assuming you would be the one in control of the base radio, why would you knowingly create your own interference?

I guess my biggest question is "why?"  Other than being in love with the concept of a small 5 watt self contained repeater, you could just put in a larger and higher power repeater using the existing antenna & line that you've already got in place, and then plug a mic into the repeater so you could use it as a dispatch point. Pretty much every mid-range commercial repeater offers that option, especially if they're made from two mobile radios - like a CDR700 for example:

CDR700 repeater.jpg

I guess my biggest question is "why?"

Maybe I was a little too vague. I'm very happy with my base setup. I can hit repeaters from 50+ miles away. But my county is repeater poor and I want to promote gmrs here. So that's why I'm asking about a potential repeater and existing base antenna working together or not. Thanks

WRXU693

"you could just put in a larger and higher power repeater using the existing antenna & line that you've already got in place, and then plug a mic into the repeater so you could use it as a dispatch point."

Interesting. So a dispatch point and a base station the same thing? I was told about three months ago that I can not use a repeater station as a base station.....idk. shm. Thanks WRXU693

1 hour ago, JamesBrox said:

"you could just put in a larger and higher power repeater using the existing antenna & line that you've already got in place, and then plug a mic into the repeater so you could use it as a dispatch point."

Interesting. So a dispatch point and a base station the same thing? I was told about three months ago that I can not use a repeater station as a base station.....idk. shm. Thanks WRXU693

If you click on where it says “quote” at the bottom of the post you’re replying to, you won’t need to copy and paste and put quotation marks around it. It’ll automatically put it in a nice box. 😀

OK, now I understand a little better about what you're asking.

In my world, terminology of a "base" station means you are transmitting on the lower (462.x) frequency, and speaking in simplex to other people on the same 462.x channel.

A Control station is what you use to work a distant repeater, and those transmit on the higher 467.x frequencies. Then they receive on the 462.x   The appearance of a Base or Control station can be the same (a mobile radio on a desktop) but the programming and functionality would differ.

You're not going to work a distant repeater by transmitting on the Base (462.x) frequency. If you have a repeater using a duplexer, you're not going to be able to do what I suggested (plugging in a mic) to do what you want.

If you key your Control station on a 467.x frequency that's the same as your repeater, you're going to overpower the receive side of your repeater. Not recommended.

13 minutes ago, Radioguy7268 said:

In my world, terminology of a "base" station means you are transmitting on the lower (462.x) frequency, and speaking in simplex to other people on the same 462.x channel.

A Control station is what you use to work a distant repeater, and those transmit on the higher 467.x frequencies. Then they receive on the 462.x   The appearance of a Base or Control station can be the same (a mobile radio on a desktop) but the programming and functionality would differ.

You're not going to work a distant repeater by transmitting on the Base (462.x) frequency. If you have a repeater using a duplexer, you're not going to be able to do what I suggested (plugging in a mic) to do what you want.

If you key your Control station on a 467.x frequency that's the same as your repeater, you're going to overpower the receive side of your repeater. Not recommended.

Yeah, terminology matters. I've just never heard folks calling their shack or radio room set up as a control station, only base stations..... learning something new every day. Regardless. Yes, my radio can either hear someone on a simplex channel and I can talk to them, if they're close enough.....that's what you're calling a base station. Or I can scan the repeater channels and break squelch on a distant repeater and have a conversation...that's what you're calling a control station. Interesting 

55 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

If you click on where it says “quote” at the bottom of the post you’re replying to, you won’t need to copy and paste and put quotation marks around it. It’ll automatically put it in a nice box. 😀

I'm aware that. Just trying to get answers....not concerned about the way quotes appear. Thanks though.

25 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

Yeah, terminology matters. I've just never heard folks calling their shack or radio room set up as a control station, only base stations..... learning something new every day. Regardless. Yes, my radio can either hear someone on a simplex channel and I can talk to them, if they're close enough.....that's what you're calling a base station. Or I can scan the repeater channels and break squelch on a distant repeater and have a conversation...that's what you're calling a control station. Interesting 

If you read the regulations you’ll find references to several different types of stations. 

11 minutes ago, JamesBrox said:

"If you read the regulations you’ll find references to several different types of stations."

I'll do that. :)

Here’s the official regs:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

I will try to list the different types of stations but I apologize for missing any:

Base Station, Control Station, Fixed Station, Mobile Station, Portable Station, Repeater Station.

Unless regulated specifically, Portable Stations are a subset of Mobile Stations. Handhelds are simply a type of Portable Stations. There are a very few regulations that apply to handhelds to the exclusion of other station types.

This forum has a long and possibly inconclusive discussion about Fixed Stations.

16 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Here’s the official regs:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

I will try to list the different types of stations but I apologize for missing any:

Base Station, Control Station, Fixed Station, Mobile Station, Portable Station, Repeater Station.

Unless regulated specifically, Portable Stations are a subset of Mobile Stations. Handhelds are simply a type of Portable Stations. There are a very few regulations that apply to handhelds to the exclusion of other station types.

This forum has a long and possibly inconclusive discussion about Fixed Stations.

Thanks man. Don't worry about if you missed anything. That's plenty of reading material for just a guy who wanted to know if a repeater, at the same location, will interfere with his Base/ (now) Control setup. 

WRXU693

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Alright, I’ll give it a rest. 😁

You’re fine. You’ve answered or been involved with most of my questions in the past….for the good. Appreciate it. Just seems things get a little too technical for every day normal folks with no radio background here. But it’s all good. Have a great day.