Motorola XPR 2500 advice

WRYW394

Hello, I'm new here and just got started in GMRS so I'm looking for some advice. I was looking for a good mobile unit and a friend offered me a used in good condition XPR 2500. It would be a trade for an old whites metal detector I have. I wanted to look up info on the XPR 2500 put couldn't find much. I know it's an expensive radio but is it good for what I'm going to use it for? I would use it for mainly GMRS use unless it's a SHTF kind of thing. Thank you for your advice.

WRYW394 

No doubt, the radio will operate as designed. The question should be does the radio have the capacity to meet your growth needs insofar as number of channels and the features you desire. In my opinion, the XTL5000 will offer more than you need and maybe the best radio on the market today.

1 hour ago, WRYW394 said:

I decided to pass on it. Motorola told me I need a windows computer to run the software. I have mac stuff. I'll just wait for the right opportunity for a GMRS designed unit. Thanks everyone. 

As a fellow Mac user I understand your decision. When shopping for radios you may want to check for compatibility with Chirp for programming. It works well with Mac computers.