Give me some clue as to what I did. I cannot transmit on channel 15 from either HT to the other even within reaching distance

Tiercel

Question

I went into my HT (UV-9G) on CHIRP.  All I did was enter a repeater and then rename channel 17 and channel 15.  I saved the file and then cloned the saved file to my other HT (UV-9G).

Now, there is no evidence that either HT transmits when on channel 15. I reloaded CHIRP to look at the file.  I thought maybe I inadvertently entered a privacy code but other than the frequency, it looks just like channel 17, which I also renamed.  Channel 17 works fine but channel 15 appears dead.

Any ideas on what I did?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

One possibility is some Baofeng radios have been coming without the ability to use channel 15.  There is a post here of people having issues with channel 15. Do you know for sure that the problem wasn’t there before you changed anything in Chirp? You may have to send them back.

If you suspect an issue in your Chirp programming if you show us a screenshot we can look it over.

Another possibility that may be happening is if two radios are to close to each other they will desense each other and not receive. You may need to move them further apart. Go outside and get 30’ or 40’ between them. Though if it’s only a problem on the one channel I don’t think that’s your problem.

One more thought… you say you were entering a repeater in the radio. If you did this on channels 15 and 17, those are not repeater channels. They are the simplex channels that have the same RX as their repeater channel counterparts. It’s possible something is wrong in the programming. 

I am NOT certain it worked before I set up the repeater.  I only assumed it worked because, as far as I have noticed, several of the other channels all work.  Also, I knew to set up the repeater in one of the 8 repeater channels so I don't think that is a factor..  I was assuming there was some subtle little thing I accidentally toggled that was not obvious to me.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 14.23.03.png