GMRS-9R cannot tx on gmrs15

Guest WRYG246

Guest WRYG246

Just noticed my new baofeng gmrs-9r cannot transmit on the preprogrammed gmrs channel 15. It can receive, though. Even checked the settings in CHIRP, but no go. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe a faulty lockdown setting in the firmware?

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

I think I figured out the conundrum:

@WRUE951is confusing the UV-9R Ham Radio with the GMRS-9R GMRS radio.

So, the questions are not answered after all...

Yup,, i haven't kept up with the Baofeng's for awhile,  didn't realize they actually came out with a real GMRS radio....  So they took a UV9r and blocked out the Ham.   Good idea..   Just curious,,, are they FCC accepted?   just asking cause i don't know..  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:48 PM, Guest WRYG246 said:

Just noticed my new baofeng gmrs-9r cannot transmit on the preprogrammed gmrs channel 15. It can receive, though. Even checked the settings in CHIRP, but no go. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe a faulty lockdown setting in the firmware?

I'm  having the same problem with ch 15. How did you make out. Probably going to call customer service tomorrow. 

So, if the radio you're having this trouble with is from ABBREE, it seems to be (based on my experience, and this post) common across the board for their GMRS radios, right now. I tried two UV-5Rs from them with this problem (sent both back), and now this GMRS-9R shows the same problem. It seems to just be between 462.550 and 462.560 (which isn't a GMRS frequency, but is where the UV-5R started transmitting again). 

My new GMRS-9R cannot tx on ch 17, so excited that my license was approved right when Amazon dropped off my first radio..  there is a lively round table and I am silent  womp womp

Guest WRZA438

Just in case it was not known, I remember listening to notarubicon explaining you will have to use Baofeng GMRS UV 9G radio in CHIRP and not the UV9R which is actually a Ham radio if I'm not mistaken which I could be. This might cause a few issues.

There is not a GMRS 9R in the settings (yet) Unless I'm mistaken. If that's not the culprit, I would like to know what happens for the fix.

Guest WRZD351

My GMRS9R has the non-functional CH15 TX problem. I purchased if off Amazon with ABBREE listed as the seller. The Amazon page has a sidebar that mentions the problem and says the radio software must be upgraded to correct the problem. There is even a video showing how to do this with a programming cable and a file named "M8F3_BF_download". But there is no info I can see on how to obtain this upgrade software. Does anyone know how to get this software?

I just purchased a Baofeng GMRS 9R HT for amazon with ABBREE listed as the selling party. This unit also is not transmitting on CH15. When visiting the Amazon site page for the GMRS 9R the are sidebar photos and one indicates on a text note that if the radio does not TX on CH15 it needs to be updated with software. But no mention of where to obtain the software. The sidebar also has a video showing the process for updating the radio using a USB cable for the waterproof radios and using a software file "M8F3_BF_downloaded". It is a Chinese Win 10 computer shown in the video so it is a little less than ideal for the US market. This does suggest there may be a fix. But how to get the software? Any help would be appreciated.

I have contacted ABBREE (www.abbree.cn) for help but so far no joy.

45 minutes ago, WRZD351 said:

.... indicates on a text note that if the radio does not TX on CH15 it needs to be updated with software. But no mention of where to obtain the software.

This is why i always recommend purchasing from Amazon whenever possible and NEVER directly from the manufacture website especially if it is in Chyna.. That way if you get a radio that does not work as advertised, instead of jumping through hoops and running in circles, you just send it back for a full refund - something that Amazon makes very easy to do.

53 minutes ago, WRZD351 said:

I just purchased a Baofeng GMRS 9R HT for amazon with ABBREE listed as the selling party. This unit also is not transmitting on CH15. When visiting the Amazon site page for the GMRS 9R the are sidebar photos and one indicates on a text note that if the radio does not TX on CH15 it needs to be updated with software. But no mention of where to obtain the software. The sidebar also has a video showing the process for updating the radio using a USB cable for the waterproof radios and using a software file "M8F3_BF_downloaded". It is a Chinese Win 10 computer shown in the video so it is a little less than ideal for the US market. This does suggest there may be a fix. But how to get the software? Any help would be appreciated.

I have contacted ABBREE (www.abbree.cn) for help but so far no joy.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:58 PM, Sshannon said:

Return it. 

Still the same advice 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had two UV-9Gs for over a week and have been very happy with them, but I just discovered they cannot communicate with each other on channel 15.  They were bought through Amazon from Radioddity.  I am trying to contact both the supplier and Baofeng.  If I don't make progress within a few days, I will return them.  I will keep you posted if I get any resolution to the issue.

As others have said, Amazon returns are a piece of cake, especially if you live near a return center.  It takes less than 60 seconds once you walk to the counter.  And only about another minute on the Amazon site before you go to the return center.  No rewrapping or return authorization printing.  Just walk in, throw the box or item on the counter, and let them take a pic or your return text msg from Amazon. Fortunately, I have a return center less than 2 miles away, and I pass it frequently.