Midland MXTA26 Antenna as a base antenna and Some questions about Coax connections.

Tiercel

Question

I have a Wouxun 1000G Plus mobile on order that will probably get here sooner or later.  

1. If the location of the antennas were the same, how much would I sacrifice using an MXTA on a magnetic mount (with a ground plane) over some other specific GMRS base antenna?

2. The one Midland base mount I have has about a 25' rather flimsy coax cable permanently wired in.  On my vehicle mount, I could get buy with half of that.  Would it improve transmission if I cut 12' out of that wire and put on a new end connector, or would it be negligible?

2 answers to this question

1) I dont really know what you mean by "base mount" or "base antenna" - I am assuming you mean a large antenna designed to be mounted on your roof.  So assuming both antennas are properly tuned for GMRS then the base antenna would be better, but not by huge margins

2) Shorter coax, especially if it is low-quality coax is better than longer coax, assuming you do a good job of putting a new connector on it - But the amount of improvement is probably minimal/negligible.  If it was me, I would not bother.

20 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

1) I dont really know what you mean by "base mount" or "base antenna" - I am assuming you mean a large antenna designed to be mounted on your roof.  So assuming both antennas are properly tuned for GMRS then the base antenna would be better, but not by huge margins

2) Shorter coax, especially if it is low-quality coax is better than longer coax, assuming you do a good job of putting a new connector on it - But the amount of improvement is probably minimal/negligible.  If it was me, I would not bother.

You assumed correctly, AND if you would not bother to shorten the cable, then I sure as hell am not going to bother. 🙃 
I am sure when I get my Wouxun 1000G Plus 50-watt mobile, that a shorter cable won't matter much since up to now I have been using 4 - 5 watt UV-9Gs hooked to the mobile antenna and I was slightly impressed.