What’s this sound before the repeater ID?

JamesBrox

Question

10 answers to this question

I'm no expert in hash that comes out of transmitters, but it may be a sound effect added by the repeater owner. It kinda sounds like a slide guitar note from one of the old western movies. My 2-meter repeater had a DVR linked to it that could play recorded messages and voice ID. Whether that can be superimposed with the Morse Code IDer I don't know. It also sounds like fan noise being picked up and mixed with the transmitted audio. Weird either way.

30 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I'm no expert in hash that comes out of transmitters, but it may be a sound effect added by the repeater owner. It kinda sounds like a slide guitar note from one of the old western movies. My 2-meter repeater had a DVR linked to it that could play recorded messages and voice ID. Whether that can be superimposed with the Morse Code IDer I don't know. It also sounds like fan noise being picked up and mixed with the transmitted audio. Weird either way.

Thx 527. I should have been more specific. I am the owner of the repeater. I’m using a HT listening for traffic on the back porch at the house. The repeater is in the shack a couple hundred feet away. The fan is set to turn on while in TX. I didn’t change any settings in the repeater from the manufacturer. Plug and play.

12 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

What is generating the Morse code call sign? Is that integrated with the radio pair you’re using for a repeater or are you using a separate system like an id-o-matic?

Yes, it's integrated. It's an option that came with the repeater from the manufacturer. It's my call sign.

1 hour ago, JamesBrox said:

The fan is set to turn on while in TX.

2 things.

1. Does the noise happen when someone transmits to your repeater so you can hear it on the repeater output the same way you hear it when your repeater IDs?

2. Can you temporarily disable the fan and see if the noise goes away?

11 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

2 things.

1. Does the noise happen when someone transmits to your repeater so you can hear it on the repeater output the same way you hear it when your repeater IDs?

2. Can you temporarily disable the fan and see if the noise goes away?

Good morning, not much good answering your questions.....but

1. It's a brand-new repeater, I haven't yet gotten friends/family talked into gmrs. lol. So, no contacts yet. Other than me going out with a 50 watt mobile and doing a range test by "kerchunking" the repeater.  

2. The software only gives two options on cooling fan ops: TX only or continuous. I don't want continuous. 

8 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

If you set it to continuous just temporarily, maybe it won't make that "spooling up" sound before it IDs, since it will already be running, then you can pretty much confirm it's the fan noise being picked up. 

I just got back from a trip into town, paying close attention to the beginning of the ID broadcast. That sound gets weaker and weaker the farther I drove away from the repeater site and the morse code remained auditable.  So, I'm thinking it's just me monitoring so close to the tower site.