looking for help

olif1947

I am a newbie to GMRS.  I bought a Midland MX-115 radio and 6 gain antenna.  I mounted it in my van.  I just listen to conversations getting use to the lingo etc.  I got my license WRKR-790 .  I got permission from the local repeater site to use the repeater.  I just don't know how to get the radio set up to work on the repeater.  I need to get with someone to help me set it up.  I am in the Beaver Dam Wi area.  The repeater is in Beaver Dam and Mayville.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

25 minutes ago, olif1947 said:

I am a newbie to GMRS.  I bought a Midland MX-115 radio and 6 gain antenna.  I mounted it in my van.  I just listen to conversations getting use to the lingo etc.  I got my license WRKR-790 .  I got permission from the local repeater site to use the repeater.  I just don't know how to get the radio set up to work on the repeater.  I need to get with someone to help me set it up.  I am in the Beaver Dam Wi area.  The repeater is in Beaver Dam and Mayville.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

There are numerous YouTube videos on how to program virtually any radio using any software. Try looking on YouTube for videos and learn from them. It's really easy as the Midland radios are rather dumb and lack a lot of options. You'll need three things, the Midland or compatible software, a programming cable for your radio along with your radio being connected to your computer through the programming cable.

1 hour ago, BoxCar said:

There are numerous YouTube videos on how to program virtually any radio using any software. Try looking on YouTube for videos and learn from them. It's really easy as the Midland radios are rather dumb and lack a lot of options. You'll need three things, the Midland or compatible software, a programming cable for your radio along with your radio being connected to your computer through the programming cable.

So...I haven't worked with the newer mxt115, but i don't believe they're computer programmable, at least at the consumer level.

The key points with the older 115 I had were enabling the repeater channels via the menu, tuning to the right "XXRP" channel for the frequency desired (which is programmed with the offset needed for repeater use) and then setting the code that corresponds to the tone needed for that repeater. I understand the new 115's have TX and rx tones separate now, and TX tone is what you need for the repeater...Rx is optional.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/81031332017/1623709961570/MXT115-Owners-Manual-11-16-2020.pdf

Page 23 has the instructions to enable repeater channels, 18 and 19 have the past about setting tones, and 27 has the table of what code corresponds to what tone.

Edited by wayoverthere
fix autocorrect blunder

57 minutes ago, Scottytalk said:

You can program your radio easily. The manufacturer should have software and cable so you can use a laptop. You can talk simplex (line of sight) or set up repeaters. A repeater needs freq, offsett, in/out tone etc.  Many repeaters are open use, others ask for owner permission.

Good luck

As @wayoverthere stated, the Midland MXT115 is not computer programmable.  In order to use it with repeaters you have to use the FPP to enable the Repeater menu, so that you can set the CTCSS or DCS code.  Midland also uses a LUT (Look Up Table) for the PL Tones.  So you can't just program in 67.0 or DCS023N, you have to know what their value in the table is.  Additionally, as of last year that model comes from the factory as NFM (Narrow FM), even on the repeater channels.  So unless they are now shipping them out with WFM enabled for repeaters, you have to send it to Midland for them to update the firmware.  That's only with the USB-C models, as the USB-Type A are not upgradeable to WFM.