GMRS Handbook/Primer?

Blaise

Just now, Blaise said:

What FCC webpage do I use?  How do I use it, and why the hell is it that way? (What's an FRN, What's a callsign, and why do you need both?)

Range considerations: power, line-of-site, and antenna gain

How do repeaters work (theory)

How do repeaters work (radio programming)

How do repeaters work (etiquette, permission, resources for finding, etc)

How come every time I ask a question about GMRS, somebody that calls themself a 'ham" shows up and starts a five page answer with "You're asking the wrong question.  

IF only there was youtube channel out there that has done at least one video on every single one of those topics!

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

IF only there was youtube channel out there that has done at least one video on every single one of those topics!

Being an absolute nube at this point and just getting equipment together and functional, two years into a license that at the time I didn't even know if I would really use it. Fast forward discovered OffRoader X on the Ytube and now I'm learning in earnest. 

I wandered how long it was going to take you to chime in on this thread. 😆

Meanwhile having a ball learning about GMRS, but also learning many of the personalities on the forum. 🍻 😎

3 hours ago, Blaise said:

That's a good start for topics.  In addition:

What FCC webpage do I use?  How do I use it, and why the hell is it that way? (What's an FRN, What's a callsign, and why do you need both?)

Range considerations: power, line-of-site, and antenna gain

How do repeaters work (theory)

How do repeaters work (radio programming)

How do repeaters work (etiquette, permission, resources for finding, etc)

How come every time I ask a question about GMRS, somebody that calls themself a 'ham" shows up and starts a five page answer with "You're asking the wrong question.  What you really want to do is..." (Joking!  I'm joking!  Well, at least mostly...)

I just messaged you a rough draft. Let me know what you think. 

15 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Your videos are why I'm here, man!  However, it took me like 30-40 hours of watching your videos to get comfy, and even then, I had to come here asking stupid questions for months.

I'm just looking to boil things down as an introduction, so newbs like I was two years ago have a smaller hill to climb.

Of course, any introduction would *have* to mention your exalted poobah-ness!