GMRS Handbook/Primer?

Blaise

Does such a thing exist? 

It occurs to me that it took me several months to acquire the basic knowledge to operate on GMRS without constantly questioning myself and going back and watching dozens of youtube videos and coming here and asking endless "dumb" questions.  It wasn't very... accessible.  Coming originally from the depths of the 80's hacker community as I do, I just accepted this, and put in the work, but it occurs to me that most people coming to GMRS are probably fairly normal, and instead just give up.

I've been trying to set up a class for my local makerspace on GMRS operation, but it occurs that there really isn't *that* much to know, assuming you only shallowly care about the technical side.  Has anyone sat down and done an in-depth "Zero-To-GMRS Operator" document to get people up and running without all the gaps?

If not, does anyone want to write one?

Perhaps I should clarify my reply since you mentioned not wanting to use various videos... The video marcspaz produced is a very good primer. If you didn't want to use the video in the training you could watch it and make an outline to use in a group setting. OffroaderX answers a lot of questions that most non radio nerds have when they start looking at GMRS. Those answers could be added to your outline as well. There is a lot of good info on this forum. It would just take some effort to distill it into written form.

I know of no written document, however, one of the regulars posters here, marcspaz, has produced a primer type of video. Good information there.
Of course offroaderX produces videos for those with a sense of humor.
Highly recommend. It got a lot of positive feedback.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Funny enough at dinner with a local guru/ multiple repeater owner.

He was joking around about not doing or changing his antenna presentation. Kinda focusing on the basics. This, after hearing how Marc's presentation was received.

I said please no.. let Marc handle the new guys. We all want to reserve you for why a bed spring may not be an optimal antennan even if resonant type questions.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Actually, one book, or set of books, that I would possibly recommend is the ARRL Handbook.  Yes, there is FAR more information in that book than needed for a primer, but if someone with previous experience was to read through, all of the major parts of 'radio' would be there and you could figure out a list of chapters and pages to suggest to a new license holder to get them up and going.  I would put the following chapters as must reads, in no specific order.

SAFETY

VHF/UHF antennas

COAX

Signal propagation in UHF

FM radio 'technology'

VHF/UHF equipment

There is a LOT in the ARRL handbook.  In fact, there is enough in the Handbook that my college electronics instructor used the ARRL Handbook as the textbook for the class.

For those that aren't familiar, the book is probably the best compilation of electronics technology, communications theory and RF methodology in existence.  It covers everything from the most basic explanation of AC and DC circuits, Ohms Law all the way to digital microprocessors.  It covers RF techniques from 'DC to Daylight' starting with VLF at 136Khz clear through to Microwave technologies and wave guide design for 40Ghz.  There is information on any and every sort of digital modulation method and of course AM/FM/SSB is covered in depth. 

Sure, it's WAY more than an entry level person would want to try to absorb all at once, but again, if someone were to put together a list of the specific materials to read, it then becomes a reference for furthering the persons knowledge going forward.  This set of books and the ARRL Antenna Book are my goto reference for all things radio. 

1 hour ago, WRKC935 said:

set of books, that I would possibly recommend is the ARRL Handbook

Yeah, see, that's the opposite of what I envision.  That's the rabbit hole I fell into when I started out, and like I said, it seems far more likely to drive normal people away than to get them functional...

A new person getting started, like the kind targeted by the presentation I'm trying to prepare, and the one marcspaz admirably presented, doesn't need to read 150 pages on antenna theory.  With ham, you're building a car.  With GMRS, you just want to drive it.  You need to understand a bit of technical theory to understand *why* you are doing what you are doing, but you don't need to be able to calculate ideal compression ratios to push the accelerator...

I guess I'm in the odd side of the thought process here but my "how to gmrs" for my parents was push mic button talk. use call sign. Done. For decades GMRs was for a private group/family only. Other than a radio tech showing us how to operate a new radio (back in the 2-6 channel days) thats all we needed to know. 95% of the GMRS repeaters were installed and maintained by radio shops and not home repeater. Now I see stuff has changed but in the end isn't it still about push mic talk listen ? 

Maybe those wanting the ham lite need more info but a lot of users are just talk listen radio to radio. I mean some of the trips I go on folks dont know how to put there jeep in 4Lo so I dont worry about the radio....

On 11/30/2023 at 7:19 AM, Blaise said:

Handbook/Primer

Does such a thing exist?

If not, does anyone want to write one?

Back to the original question. When you say "Handbook/Primer", many of us picture an actual handbook. With many pages. Printed. Or downloaded, as in Kindle. Or PDF. Could be a short pamphlet, could be the multi-hundred-page ARRL Handbook. Searching the internet for a GMRS Handbook brings up a literal pantload of results. Several on Amazon. One of the GMRS handbooks I found is 132 pages. I can't see how someone could write 132 pages on GMRS. Unless they have an amateur license, then it makes sense. What, exactly, are you looking for? A couple of pages? Several folks here have offered suggestions, but nothing is clicking. It's important that we know exactly what you're looking for. Be extremely specific. Someone here might be willing to write something, if someone knows exactly what you want.

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

When you say "Handbook/Primer", many of us picture an actual handbook.

Whereas when you say "primer", normal people picture several pages just of the most basic necessities, so something in-between would be the logical conclusion, wouldn't it?  I don't think there's a specific term for a document that hits all the basics plus just enough theory and technical detail that you have guideposts to do further research if desired, but don't waste your time on hundreds of pages of unnecessary stuff...

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

It's important that we know exactly what you're looking for. Be extremely specific. Someone here might be willing to write something, if someone knows exactly what you want.

Generally, when attempting to brainstorm an idea, it's important that you don't specify exactly what you are looking for.  Being extremely specific limits the places discussion can go, and ensures you'll miss out on good ideas.

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

Good old phone spoofing memories.

I'm proud to say I actually owned one of those red Captain Crunch whistles, back in the day.  I'm more than a little sad to say my mother threw it out while I was at college because it was "just a cheap old toy"...

31 minutes ago, Blaise said:

Whereas when you say "primer", normal people picture several pages just of the most basic necessities, so something in-between would be the logical conclusion, wouldn't it?  I don't think there's a specific term for a document that hits all the basics plus just enough theory and technical detail that you have guideposts to do further research if desired, but don't waste your time on hundreds of pages of unnecessary stuff...

Generally, when attempting to brainstorm an idea, it's important that you don't specify exactly what you are looking for.  Being extremely specific limits the places discussion can go, and ensures you'll miss out on good ideas.

Good luck with your project.

7 minutes ago, Blaise said:

Thanks, I appreciate that.  Have any good ideas to contribute?

I need to know what you're looking for. A few pages? A booklet? How interested is your audience in technical stuff versus basic info on what GMRS is for and not for? How to use repeaters? This is what I mean about being specific. 

15 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I need to know what you're looking for. A few pages? A booklet?

As discussed above, something between a primer and a handbook.  Something you could reasonably read in an hour or two tops. 

21 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

How interested is your audience in technical stuff versus basic info on what GMRS is for and not for?

Again, mostly for people who either aren't that interested in the technical stuff or don't want to bother with it before jumping in, but which hits all the technical points just enough that the reader comes out knowing what people are talking about if they mention technical details even if they don't really understand them all that well. 

22 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

How to use repeaters?

I'm not sure how it could be useful to have a guide on how to GMRS without explaining how to use repeaters, so yes, of course, that would clearly be important.

It would need to cover every facet of GMRS usage, and just enough theory and technical detail that you have guideposts to do further research if desired, but don't waste your time on hundreds of pages of unnecessary stuff...

As someone who just got their license, here’s a few ideas.  I think I know the answer to some, but not all:

Rules- just basics, for example - What’s a household? It says parents, family etc. can use my license, but my brother is in California & I’m in Connecticut. I doubt he’s in my household, but that’s not what it seems to imply.  Or can he use my license when talking to me? And do we both have to announce the same call sign every 10 minutes, or is one enough?

Practices- when I want to go on, are there common practices? Do I call CQ, like the hams do?  Is there a standard calling channel (like CH 19 on CB)? How about when I arrive in a strange town?  Any networks? How do those interconnected repeaters work and can I use them?

Is there a CB CH 9 analog for emergencies? I’m assuming no, with only 8 channels.

Are there clubs? Who supports and pays for the repeaters?

Is there something like RACES for community support during emergencies?

How much power do I really need? I keep seeing reviews where people say ‘manufacturers said 36 miles but I only got 3.’ Any easy rule to figure that out?

What’s a good radio to start with? A 3 watt $29 handheld? Or are people generally disappointed in those? Do I need to have repeater capability? Or should I get 25 or 50 watts? Seems like if 5W was enough, we’d all stick to FRS.

Yes, all this info is out there, and I can find most of it on the internet, and by listening , but there’s some ideas for a short ‘So you wanna GMRS’ pamphlet.

WRZR764

1 hour ago, WRZR764 said:

there’s some ideas for a short ‘So you wanna GMRS’ pamphlet

That's a good start for topics.  In addition:

What FCC webpage do I use?  How do I use it, and why the hell is it that way? (What's an FRN, What's a callsign, and why do you need both?)

Range considerations: power, line-of-site, and antenna gain

How do repeaters work (theory)

How do repeaters work (radio programming)

How do repeaters work (etiquette, permission, resources for finding, etc)

How come every time I ask a question about GMRS, somebody that calls themself a 'ham" shows up and starts a five page answer with "You're asking the wrong question.  What you really want to do is..." (Joking!  I'm joking!  Well, at least mostly...)