WRZS577

Hello. I've just recently acquired two Wouxun HTs, and have just now joined this forum to learn.

One starter question; this afternoon I heard what was apparently a repeater on GMRS 16, announcing a callsign and its status as a repeater. What was I hearing?

Looking forward to learning.

WRZS577

So I was presumably hearing the transmit side. I tried looking up the call sign I thought I heard, but I must have misheard as there were no results. 

I haven't read up on repeaters in any great detail, but is it possible to just listen to it? Other than that brief ID announcement, I heard nothing else.

1 minute ago, WRZS577 said:

So I was presumably hearing the transmit side. I tried looking up the call sign I thought I heard, but I must have misheard as there were no results. 

I haven't read up on repeaters in any great detail, but is it possible to just listen to it? Other than that brief ID announcement, I heard nothing else.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you brought your sense of humor. Yes you can just listen. You were probably hearing the repeater auto ID itself. If you can't find anything using the call sign you can search for repeaters in you area. Channel 16 is 462.5250. Not hearing anything else on the repeater can be a normal thing depending on your area. If the repeater is using tones you won't be able to TX to it unless you know what tone they are using. Having no tone set on the receive side means you will here it even if they are using a tone.

12 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

Channel 16 is 462.5250. 

462.525 MHz is not a FCC allocated GMRS channel. The allocated GMRS channels are separated by 12.5 KHz and run from 462.550 to 462.725 MHz and are paired with the respective 467 MHz channel. The 462.525 MHz channel is in the Industrial/Business Radio Pool and normally licensed to Petroleum and Power Companies at the discretion of the FCC Authorized Frequency Coordinator(s).

13 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I'm sure there are probably some Youtube videos explaining how it all works.

The "Jeep Guy" is correct, there are four You Tube Videos on this subject. Two if them were produced two years ago, one if them a year ago, and one a couple months ago. These videos are very clear in describing the differences between the simplex and repeater channels and what information and steps that are required to program your radio and access a repeater within range of your radio device.

The current video also explains where you can obtain the required repeater access information for GMRS repeaters throughout the Country.

Here is a link for the current video.

https://youtu.be/kEyBqTJIkY4?si=d2zkWAfDKXpxKw3R

9 hours ago, nokones said:

462.525 MHz is not a FCC allocated GMRS channel. The allocated GMRS channels are separated by 12.5 KHz and run from 462.550 to 462.725 MHz and are paired with the respective 467 MHz channel. The 462.525 MHz channel is in the Industrial/Business Radio Pool and normally licensed to Petroleum and Power Companies at the discretion of the FCC Authorized Frequency Coordinator(s).

Yep, my bad. My typing skills suck. 462.575 is what I meant to type.