Hit the 'magical' 36+ mile range today.

WRYC373

From a GM15Pro inside a house to a 25W mobile with a 1/2wave antenna we got over 36 miles. Its a pretty compromised lip antenna mounted behind my trunk too.

This was however from hill to valley across multiple cities.

The more impressive to me was the 20mile conversation flat over a few small towns and a large lake.

This means my whole family can now talk to each other simplex, very cool GMRS definitely fufilled our needs.

Its making me want to drill mount my new car and maybe get a better antenna maybe a 5/8 over 5/8. And we are building antennas now at each house as well.

Anyone have any other cool GMRS sucesses?

On 12/10/2023 at 12:29 AM, WRYS709 said:

Nicely done!

You are using the GM15Pro with just its HT antenna, or you enhanced it?

I picked up its Ham Radio twin brother, the UV13-Pro, with the ABbree 771GMRS antenna to give it a bit of better range.

We were using the AR-771 antenna it came with not the Rubber Ducky we were very impressed as it means we can talk house to house across the county.

4 hours ago, WRYC373 said:

We were using the AR-771 antenna it came with not the Rubber Ducky we were very impressed as it means we can talk house to house across the county.

@WRYC373 - welcome to MyGMRS.  I realize you’ve been here a couple weeks now but I didn’t recognize that you were a new member. So, welcome and merry Christmas!

On 12/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, WRYC373 said:

Anyone have any other cool GMRS sucesses?

I always count it a success when I can talk to my wife on a handheld from 10,000 foot Mt. Baldy where there's no cell service here in southern California through a repeater that's on a 5,700 foot peak 40 miles away that she's almost 20 miles from.