Can't connect

jchrist

5 hours ago, jchrist said:

I can't seem to get on a repeater. I've tried a few times to get on a local repeater (Crete IL) but i don't get a response to my requests. How can I join a net if I can't connect to a repeater?

You can’t. 
Do you hear traffic on the repeater?

What are your settings? Squelch mode, Tx tone, Rx tone, radio model, channel?

3 hours ago, jchrist said:

I can't seem to get on a repeater. I've tried a few times to get on a local repeater (Crete IL) but i don't get a response to my requests. How can I join a net if I can't connect to a repeater?

Would it be safe to presume that you sent an access request to the repeater owner, and received the private PL tones (either CTCSS or DCS) ?  If not, you will need to do that before you can access the repeater.  If you do have that information, verify that your radio (transceiver) is set up correctly (input/output frequency (offset), and tones (decode/encode)).  If everything is set correctly, are you within range of the repeater?  Crete does have a very large footprint.

Also, was the net already in session?  Were they asking for check-ins?  Is it possible you doubled (keyed at the same time) as someone else, and weren't heard?

Let's get through these questions before going further.

8 hours ago, jchrist said:

Dealing with my first repeater contact.

One issue I had was understanding that just because I could hear the repeater, I thought it could hear me.  Turned out my signal wasn't strong enough to reach the repeater on my mobile. This turned out fine once I found an area clear of trees and obstructions that blocked my signal as the repeater was (25-35) many miles away.

Then I learned too that the signal on the repeater would actually change (drop out) in response to my opening the repeater after I attempted to call and let people know I was monitoring the repeater.  This told me I was actually hitting the repeater but no one was there listening to their radios at that time. 

I don't know if your set-up is mobile or, stationery.  Hope this helps.