New User, couple of ? ' s

DominoDog

What does the /!\ orange triangle with an exclamation point next to a repeater listing mean? Repeater in question is online and I can hear it identify on the air regularly.

From the forums, forums.mygmrs.com, I can find no way to get back to the main site. Not without typing mygmrs.com in the address bar and reloading it manually.

Apologies if I am just overlooking something simple.

32 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

What does the /!\ orange triangle with an exclamation point next to a repeater listing mean? Repeater in question is online and I can hear it identify on the air regularly.

From the forums, forums.mygmrs.com, I can find no way to get back to the main site. Not without typing mygmrs.com in the address bar and reloading it manually.

Apologies if I am just overlooking something simple.

For the main page, either the "Repeaters" or the "Map" links  (near the top of the page on desktop, or under the right sidebar, accessed by the 3 lines in the top right, on mobile) lead back to the main site.

On that repeater icon, is there one specific you can point to that shows it?

Edited by wayoverthere
fix autocorrect typo, clarify

• 2 weeks later...

Another, separate question...

Regarding the reports export feature.

If I go to the online listing of local repeaters, I have several that I have requested access to, and several that have replied, also several who have not responded at all.

Many repeaters are listed as having their access tones "UNLISTED" yet, when I export a report for, say, all the repeaters in Tennessee, I am given a list with the entire tones section fully populated. What's more, is I am given a lot more info than I get from repeater owners. For example, in the reports I have DTCS tones listed AS WELL AS CTCS tones, for each repeater. I am not sure which ones to use. Do repeaters use both at the same time? Sorry if that is a newbie question I'm just trying to figure this out and don't know any local experts yet.

And also, are the reports export supposed to show every "unlisted" repeater complete with access tones? Just curious.

56 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

The repeater in question with the /!\ exclamation point icon is

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/5312

You can view the icon if you go to this listing and then click on the Owner's info link, then look to the right at the list of their repeaters.

Thanks

It means it’s “stale”.

Its status hasn’t been updated in 2 years. 

I hear it identifying every day, but I never hear anyone on it. It's listed as being available to the community but... I dunno, I never (ever) have ever heard anyone on it. Just the repeater ID every fifteen minutes whenever I happen to hear it while scanning.

I'd like to use it, but can't if the owner won't respond. It's loud and clear and the closest one to me so it'd be really cool to have access.

But, who knows.

11 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

[...] if the owner won't respond. [...]

Crazy idea: Have you tried reaching out by alternative means ?!?

A letter to the address listed on the FCC / ULS database, maybe?

The owner's address (physical) is listed in the city of Chuckey. Maybe the city has an Amateur Radio Club (Hams often know each other and the main GMRS players).

... as an Extra, AA4BS is likely known to someone in the community :) 

...... and in case this looks like magic, I am more than happy to give you a step-by-step rundown of the FCC / ULS search !

Edited by WRXD372
typo

I did send a letter, but haven't heard anything. The owner, from basic information available, is big in the local amateur radio community. I am set up to take my Technician exam in early January, and am hoping to join and meet those communities too. I listen in a lot; haven't keyed up the mic yet obviously. It's very tempting to chime in when they are literally asking "any other lurkers listening in here's your chance to say hello" but... I figured all that will come when I hold a ham callsign.

12 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

... "any other lurkers listening in here's your chance to say hello" ...

Great way of phrasing this -- sounds like a good group already :)

Seems you did all one can (legally and ethically) do !!!

Good luck on your exam !!!

If I ever heard any activity on the repeater, and they had an open net asking for people, then sure. But to reach the repeater I'd have to be told the tones or scan the tone as it identified and that just feels like trespassing. Plus, I have sent a request on here and have sent the guy an actual request letter via actual real life mail. No response, so at this point I can only assume they don't feel like sharing the system at this time. Believe me, I'd love to be using it since it is so close to the house. But, I'll have my ham license soon enough and there are ham repeaters I can reach. GMRS would be cool too for when I'm hiking/exploring with family, but it is what it is.