An interesting proposal for GMRS+

Sshannon

9 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

I assume you are referring to offering products for sale.  How about internal business operations; e.g. Walmart running its stores with GMRS (assuming the company would want to)?

Walmart could, but, every person using a radio would need their own, personal GMRS license.

EDIT: Unless the business has an old, grandfathered GMRS license as @Sshannon correctly pointed out.

19 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

I assume you are referring to offering products for sale.  How about internal business operations; e.g. Walmart running its stores with GMRS (assuming the company would want to)?

The regulations allow it.  In fact, business GMRS licensees with grandfathered licenses are still allowed to hand a GMRS radio to their employees without additional licensing.  

Some businesses do use MURS or FRS already.  I hear the local hotel talking on one of the GMRS/FRS channels.  It’s about the only regular traffic that I hear.

7 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

I hear the local pet boarding kennel.

Depending on local traffic, it just makes sense to buy a bunch of FRS or MURS radios and pass them out as long as you don’t need security for your communications or long range.

I checked into a hotel one time and when I pulled the covers back there was a nice little Motorola radio laying on the sheets.  It must have fallen out of the housekeeper’s pocket when she made up the bed.  

I took it to the front desk.  We stayed there frequently so she knew me.  She looked at me, sighed, and said “where did you find it?” 🙂

37 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

There is nothing stopping, for example Walmart, from using GMRS EXCEPT  users must each have their own license. The FCC will not issue GMRS licenses to business, only individual users. If a business was licensed before the rule changes in 2017, and maintained it active, they are grandfathered in and can continue to use GMRS for business operations. If they let it expire they're screwed. The FCC will NOT issue a GMRS license in the name of the business in that case.

As an example the local mall by me was licensed to use GMRS for their house keeping staff. However they let the license expire, A LONG TIME AGO. They never renewed it. They continue to use their radios and the limited range repeater. So far it seems the FCC isn't interested in taking any action.

I'm absolutely sure what is going on since I've been to the mall many times with my HT to walk around for exorcise. They are using channel 16. They are setup for a repeater because I have my radio programed that way, which means they must be operating under GMRS rules to access the repeater input frequencies. If people choose to hijack the repeater they have realistically no choice except to ignore it rather than complain, otherwise the FCC might be way more interested in their long unlicensed operation history.    

ULS_License_-_General_Mobile_Radio__GMRS__License_-_KAB1523_-_LA-job_178.pdf

• 2 months later...

Amateur Radio and GMRS.......They are separate services, I'd like to see it stay that way......Why usurp another radio service and ruin it?????

GMRS+ is a load of crap - It is the last sheet on a roll of TP, worthless. The whole idea is NO EXAMS to use GMRS.

Just because "we" hams can do it, doesn't mean we should on GMRS - experimental use? Aren't our amateur bands underused as it is? Policing??? "Self Policing" simply means YOU are policing YOUR OWN operation, not anyone elses.

Channel cops?, Lets get them kids using their radios illegally --- That'l teach 'em -- we can hold their parents liable.

It's ridiculous

Get real.