An interesting proposal for GMRS+

SteveShannon

• 4 weeks later...

I understand the idea behind this and see how it could be helpful to many.  I am a technology nerd. At one point, I was an electronics engineering major in college before changing to nursing. I found taking the amateur radio tests to be fairly easy, especially obtaining my technician and later the general and amateur extra. That being said, I very seldom actually use the radio. For me, a radio is a tool to accomplish a task, not really a pastime. I have volunteered my radio knowledge with our local search and rescue unit. We use an LMR license for SAR on VHF frequencies, not ham or GMRS frequencies. When it comes to programming radios, especially for more advanced features or making other modifications, it takes a little bit of technological knowledge but for those just talking on it, very little technical knowledge is required.

I am now married and there are times now that my wife and I are caravaning in different vehicles (I'm in the truck pulling a travel trailer and my wife is driving our minivan). We may be traveling in areas that have iffy cellular service. I'd like to communicate with her. She is not a ham, nor does she have any interest in becoming a ham radio operator. She does understand that once in a while, a radio can be handy. It is for this reason that I acquired the GMRS license. Because my ham license is just for me, I can't just use two ham radios in some digital mode for our simplex purposes. My only choice, while staying within legal means, is to use GMRS. While there are several frequencies to choose from on GMRS, there are very few compared to those available to ham operators. One way to pack in more users is to narrowband and possibly use TDMA/CDMA; at least on repeaters.

With the proposed GMRS+, it would allow these modes to be used by family members. The technical setup would be performed by the amateur radio person, who should have more technical knowledge but can be used by those with lesser skill/knowledge. 

As to "policing", that is a concept well-engrained in amateur radio. If someone is causing spurious emissions with their radio gear, another amateur can let them know and have them correct the problem without bringing anyone with higher authority in for punishment. When it comes to spurious emissions, many hams practice the sport of fox or rabbit hunting They have a hidden radio that periodically transmits and participants try to track down the source of this hidden radio. They build direction-finding systems to quickly pinpoint the source of the transmitter. It is this skill that allows them to find whomever is causing the spurious emissions. For the most part, the concept of self-policing is to be civil and help others from making mistakes who may not know they are making mistakes. Unfortunately, some people don't do the right thing on purpose; they intentionally violate rules and regulations. Attempts at addressing the issue civilly usually will not work in this case, which is when self-policing needs to be passed on to "real police" or code enforcers. Because it is something they already do on other frequencies, that is why hams would be good at "policing" the bands. 

Again, the primary reason for this to exist is not that hams want more frequencies, but it is a way they can allow their family that is not interested in obtaining a ham radio license to use their radios for family communication, because that is not allowed on amateur radio frequencies. 

Whether the FCC allows this? My guess is they won't, but you never know unless you try.