Radioddity DB20-G programming question - new channels won't allow me to transmit

Sbsyncro

Question

I went in and programmed two additional simplex channels with CTCC tones.   I used slots 492 and 493 (right before the Wx channels) and saved to the radio.  The problem is that I can receive on both those new channels, but I get an error tone when I try to transmit.  The "Tx Off" box is NOT ticked, but it is grayed out on both of these channels when viewed in programming software.   I am able to add these tones to the corresponding GMRS channels (15 and 17) and they work fine, but will not allow transmitting from the same freq/tone pairs that are custom added.

I notice that there are also slots labeled "PL1" "PH1" "PL2" and "PH2" as well as slots labeled VFO1 and VFO2.  

Does one have to use specific slots in order to enable transmitting from a normal GMRS frequency?  What are the PLx and PHx and VFO slots for?    

Thanks in advance for any help - 

Also, is there a trick to DELETING a row in the programming software or can that only be done via FPP?

7 answers to this question

there appear to be 500 slots on my radio plus the ones for PL, PH, and VFO that I mentioned.  The only Rx only channels are 8-15 (because they are limited to 1/2 a watt).  All the rest that are pre-programmed from the factory between 1 and 30 will transmit and receive.   Are you looking at the programming software or scrolling through the radio?

I can only refer to how mine works, but AFAIK others should be the same.  Ch. 40-500 are RX only; it's hard coded in the firmware - it's part of their approach to get GMRS certification.  Of course, I'm referring to the default GMRS mode as shipped, not the possible unlocked mode which breaks certification.  I can't follow some of what you're asking because you are not giving enough detail.  And I don't know the intended use of the extra PL, PH, VFO channels (manual is useless).

Thanks.   So the intended purpose is that I want two *additional* channels saved under custom names which are channels 15 and 17 respectively, but with CTCC tones programmed in.   I've done this with my Wouxan and Baofeng radios, but it appears that possibly this radio only supports custom "scanning" channels only.  In other words, I have to cannibalize "regular" channel 15 by adding tones so that I can use it with my club and then I essentially lose the ability to use "regular" channel 15 (without tones) unless I fiddle with the front panel programming (which is what I was trying to avoid).  Hope that adds more context.

Do you have any idea how to DELETE channels from the software or can that only be done from the mic/panel?  Thanks again

You must use the unlocked mode to achieve your intended result.  Somewhere on this forum, I posted my generic GMRS codeplug that follows Part 95E rules for the unlocked mode.

What is FPP?

Can you give me more detail about your desire to delete Channels?  Why not just zero out the data?

23 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

You must use the unlocked mode to achieve your intended result.  Somewhere on this forum, I posted my generic GMRS codeplug that follows Part 95E rules for the unlocked mode.

What is FPP?

Can you give me more detail about your desire to delete Channels?  Why not just zero out the data?

Thanks I'll look for that unlock capability.    This one?

FPP - front panel programming.  Sorry

Double clicking the >> top open the dialog allows me to backspace over the frequency and name but when I click OK it still takes up that slot.   There is no way to select a slot (row) and "delete" (one would expect it from the Edit menu, but alas....