Opinions on BTECH GMRS 50v2

Looking to upgrade from my Radioddity DB-20G to radio with more watts. was wondering about opinions on this radio, or if anyone is running it. If anyone has a suggestion on a good mobile radio in the 40 to 50 watt range they would be appreciated. I will be running my Browning B-176s antenna with it.

I have gone through 2 of them and a friends also failed.. All failed within 3 years.  They aren't the greatest quality and the screen is very small and difficult to read while driving.  I would suggest a KG-1000G, or if you dont need all the extra fancy stuff even a Midland MXT500.

But honestly, you will probably never notice any difference in farz going from 20W to 40 or 50W.. 

OffRoaderX, Thank you for the response. Have heard decent things about the MXT500. I will have to look at the KG_1000G. I did see the video on the antenna test proving that a good antenna makes a big difference. I updated to the Browning from the Midland MXTA13 that came with my MXT115 (also good and informative video) and the Browning did give me about .5 miles more. I live in south central Kentucky (a very hilly area and well wooded.) and wondered now if more watts may help some more on distance. I am trying to avoid a taller antenna due to parking at work in a garage that a taller antenna would scape on top of my SUV.

P.S. Love the channel brother.

I have the Midland MXT500 and two Wouxun KG-1000G's. The Midland is sitting in a box while the two KG-1000G's are in use as my base station and in my vehicle. My base station is a KG-1000G while my mobile setup is the KG-1000G Plus.

Both radios are very close in price but the Wouxun is definitely better. The KG-1000G has better transmit and receive audio, a removable face for mounting in vehicles and just seems better made than the MXT500. 

Even though I don't care for the Midland I would still take it over the B-Tech GMRS 50v2.

@WRZX542 you didn't say where you are located. Location, terrain, etc will affect how far you can reach out. You will have farther range in places like the desert southwest or the Great Plains without a lot of hills/mountains or lots of forested areas. A 50 watt radio will help push the signal through forested areas compared to a 20 watt radio. You won't see much of a difference in open areas with a clear line of sight.

3 hours ago, WRZX542 said:

@WRYZ926 I am located in south central Kentucky with a lot of wooded area and hilly topography.

Then you would benefit from using a 50 watt mobile. I get in areas around here with lots of pine and cedar trees that cause issues. The worst is when those trees are right along the edge of the roads.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:54 AM, WRZX542 said:

@WRYZ926 I am located in south central Kentucky with a lot of wooded area and hilly topography.

Im in Central, KY just south of Fort Knox (eTown area). Ive been trying to just listen and see how things are done, but I don't hear much chatter around here. I'm in the only mountain range in the county.

@WRYZ926, I had thought about setting up a simplex repeater. But I don't know if that would help or not. I am not sure the signal would hit the repeater since the mobile in my car could not be reached in my driveway from another radio approximately 8 miles away. I was figuring if they couldn't reach my vehicles mobile antenna they probably couldn't hit the repeater antenna in the same location.

1 hour ago, WRZX542 said:

@WRYZ926, I had thought about setting up a simplex repeater. But I don't know if that would help or not. I am not sure the signal would hit the repeater since the mobile in my car could not be reached in my driveway from another radio approximately 8 miles away. I was figuring if they couldn't reach my vehicles mobile antenna they probably couldn't hit the repeater antenna in the same location.

You wouldn’t put your repeater antenna in your driveway, would you?  Height is might.

You always want your base antenna as high as you ca get it. As mentioned - height is might.

When I was talking about being in my driveway, I was talking about using a hand held radio or the radio in my car and SxS to talk on the repeater. Repeater antennas will normally be installed on a tower or tall building to get the best coverage. I do have an advantage when it comes to our local repeater. The repeater antennas are on a local radio station tower at 400 feet above ground level. Our 2m repeater antennas are on the same tower at 900 feet.

@WRZX542 in your case, you will want your repeater/base antenna above your roof. And when I say above your roof, you want the base of your antenna above the roof. Again the higher the better.