Midland MicroMobile Replacement/Substitute Microphone Needed

Over2U

Question

I need a microphone for my ancient Midland MXT100 MicroMobile GMRS Radio. Original is Part Number (P/N) MA100 with P/N MA105 listed as a replacement, both of which are out of stock. Can anyone suggest a source or suitable substitution for this microphone?

9 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Over2U said:

I need a microphone for my ancient Midland MXT100 MicroMobile GMRS Radio. Original is Part Number (P/N) MA100 with P/N MA105 listed as a replacement, both of which are out of stock. Can anyone suggest a source or suitable substitution for this microphone?

Might be time to upgrade the radio.  Since even if you can find a replacement your probably in to it for Atleast $30 and you can pick up a really nice 20w radio for $80  and it would be a pretty big upgrade from the midland 5w for not much extra money. 

If you plan on replacing your radio then look at the Wouxun KG-XS20G Plus 20 watt mobile. It is a lot better than a Midland radio. I have one mounted in my SxS connected to a Comet 2x4SR antenna and get great signal reports from everyone using the repeater that is 21 miles away.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

If you plan on replacing your radio then look at the Wouxun KG-XS20G Plus 20 watt mobile. It is a lot better than a Midland radio. I have one mounted in my SxS connected to a Comet 2x4SR antenna and get great signal reports from everyone using the repeater that is 21 miles away.

I assumed money may be an issue since he is trying to replace a microphone to a very old 5w radio.  My $100 20w radio does 200miles so you can for sure get the same distance with a much more affordable radio.  My $20 5w hand helds easily do 20miles simplex and repeaters.  For the price of a kg20 you could by a 50w and really reach out.  

29 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I assumed money may be an issue since he is trying to replace a microphone to a very old 5w radio.  My $100 20w radio does 200miles so you can for sure get the same distance with a much more affordable radio.  My $20 5w hand helds easily do 20miles simplex and repeaters.  For the price of a kg20 you could by a 50w and really reach out.  

I was only recommending a very good and reliable radio. And I would take that over any Midland Baofeng, or other cheaper brands. But that is me. If the OP is on that tight of a budget then getting a replacement mic is his best option.

8 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I was only recommending a very good and reliable radio. And I would take that over any Midland Baofeng, or other cheaper brands. But that is me. If the OP is on that tight of a budget then getting a replacement mic is his best option.

This is why I stay off the internet as much as I can.   Totally agree with the midland statement. But I’ll go away not all people need or want to spend 2-4xs as much for the same results.  

Well you do you. I have had Midland and still have Baofeng radios and they do not compare with Wouxun radios when it comes to quality, performance, etc. The Midlands are all gone and while I will keep the Baofeng hand held radios around, I will not buy another Baofeng again.

Sometimes it does  good to head the old saying "buy once, cry once"

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

It’s more about convenience than money. This old 5 watt radio still does exactly what I need it to do (short range convoy coordination), powers directly from a cigarette lighter socket, and, to cap it off, because my installation involved use of double sided mounting tape, removal for a replacement radio would be a pain! 
In summary, I just want to replace the microphone (whose connector cable failed) and keep on ‘as is’.😊

18 minutes ago, Over2U said:

It’s more about convenience than money. This old 5 watt radio still does exactly what I need it to do (short range convoy coordination), powers directly from a cigarette lighter socket, and, to cap it off, because my installation involved use of double sided mounting tape, removal for a replacement radio would be a pain! 
In summary, I just want to replace the microphone (whose connector cable failed) and keep on ‘as is’.😊

Maybe this would be an option (just picked one at random). I also did some digging around eBay and what not for the mic with no luck... though it might end up costing me, damn window shopping 😂