BTech GMRS Pro learning curve.

WSAA635

I picked up a Pro as my "high end" GMRS radio and at first I was a bit lost. After watching a few vids on the YouTubes and fooling around with the radio and the app I think I'm starting to figure the radio out. I even got my Roger Beep set after thinking it didn't have one and I programmed the side buttons to change scan sections so I can go from GMRS and DPS(Highway Patrol) frequencies at the long press of the button. I'm actually starting to like this radio. I plan on doing a short review on it, the V2, the UV-5R(hacked for GMRS and MURS)and the Wouxun KG-805G(once it gets here)on my YouTubes channel.  

Anyway, to sum it up, if you've picked up this radio and feel a bit lost just hang in there, watch some vids and play around with it and you'll soon get the hang of it.

40 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

So why is this an issue on Repeater channels?

As you can see, some people don’t enjoy hearing Roger beeps. On simplex it only bothers the person you’re talking to. On a repeater everyone tuned to the repeater hears it. On top of that, some repeaters have a beep signifying that a transmission is over so now there’s two beep patterns. 
Some people let up on the PTT temporarily to avoid triggering the TOT on a repeater.  That triggers another Roger beep but not necessarily the repeater beep because they sometimes have a delay built in.
There could be more reasons that a repeater owner would have. I don’t know what they are. 

Wouldn't it "bother" anyone who's tuned into the simplex channel just the same as everyone who's tuned into the repeater channel? 

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It just seems like an easy, automatic way of letting people know you're finished talking. 

If I'm talking to someone and others who aren't part of the conversation are listening in and don't like hearing a Roger Beep they're more than free to move to a different channel. No one is forcing them to stay and put up with listening to it.

I just think "some people" like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

57 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Wouldn't it "bother" anyone who's tuned into the simplex channel just the same as everyone who's tuned into the repeater channel? 

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It just seems like an easy, automatic way of letting people know you're finished talking. 

If I'm talking to someone and others who aren't part of the conversation are listening in and don't like hearing a Roger Beep they're more than free to move to a different channel. No one is forcing them to stay and put up with listening to it.

I just think "some people" like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

On simplex it's your radio your choice. However if you are using someone elses repeater then it's the repeater owners choice how they want their repeater used.  

7 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

What if it's an Open Repeated free for everyone to use?

It's still owned by someone and it's their call sign attached to it.  Their repeater their rules. I certainly wouldn't go against the wishes of the owner of the equipment I have the privilege of using if they have stated a preference. 

I don't know how we've gotten so far off topic. I really doubt I'll ever need or use a repeater while dove hunting or shooting in the desert so it's a moot point. 

I simply wanted to talk about the GMRS Pro and the learning curve it has compared to simpler radios like the V2. Once you get the hang of it it's not too bad though. 

I do wonder if it has something akin to VFO mode though so I could add a frequency without having to save it into memory.  

I own two BTECH GMRS PROs and I think I made a good investment. BTECH may not be as good as Icom, Kenwood, Motorola or Vertex Standard, but BTECH has quite a number of good radios out there both Amateur Radio and GMRS. The one feature I wish BTECH had done would add digital receive capability to monitor conventional DMR and NXDN systems. To not only use for FRS/GMRS communications, but to be able to program Railroad channels would be wonderful. Especially, when class one Railroads switch over to IDAS/NXDN.