Radioddity GM 30 Review

WSAN654

First my choice of ham equipment is 991a FT3DR FT65 6VX 6000R etc

So i thought i would try the GM 30 on ranch and trail work, not disappointed  at all, and using standard antenna zero problems

which for the price is excellent, I'm not one for sitting on the air getting radio checks and talking radios as I'm too busy for that, but in a work capacity these radios are great transmit and receive, battery life is excellent and its the same charger as my phone which makes  life simple, not waterproof but there is a way round that and i live in Texas, so rain is rare lol  

most people i know who was doing there ham license have stopped and moved over to GMRS for many reasons 

I have a set of GM 15 Pros which are just a GM 30 clones apparently and I was surprised at how well they have worked. Mind you, I just got my GMRS license 4 days ago so I'm a complete noob. The other day my wife took one with her to the grocery store which is only a mile away but there's a large wooded area and then a lot of buildings between our house and there. We were able to talk clearly with very little static to my surprise. We do have longer AR-771 antennas on them so that may have helped, not sure.

I have found something out.  Now the guys that spend $200-$300 or more on a hand held don’t like this opinion but this opinion is shared by many people I know.  In the real world a “top of the line” hand held transmits just as far as a $20 hand held.   I’ve done many real world tests with professional Motorolas and $20 radios. It’s the same 30-40miles line of site into a repeater and it’s the same 20+ miles simplex.  The 771 antennas make a huge difference.  I tell people find a radio you like that has the options you want for the price point you want to be in and go for it.  Have fun and use them.   I’ve got a $120 20w base station at home that does over 200 miles in to a repeater in the next state.  But I’ve got altitude and a great antenna.   I’m glad your radios are working out for you. The more people tag at get into gmrs the better for all. 

4 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

I’ve got a $120 20w base station at home that does over 200 miles in to a repeater in the next state.  But I’ve got altitude and a great antenna.   I’m glad your radios are working out for you. The more people tag at get into gmrs the better for all. 

Sounds like you have "altitude" issues!  200 miles to Nevada? 

2 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Yes I’m in phelan ca and check into 2 Las Vegas nets every week.   My base station and the Las Vegas repeater are over 200miles from each other .  

2 meter VHF?

i like BBQ at Charlie Brown’s Farms in Little Rock!