Repeater Output tones

WSAJ688

Question

Hello, I just had a question about output tones on a repeater. Does that mean that the repeater will only transmit whats received on that tone? So Id have to set my radios with that receive tone? Or can i set the output tone as nothing and still hear what the repeater receives? I only ask because ive seen many people online say you dont need the output tone. 53d31210d898a6b6f56374c7b0f00f72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

Ok so it doesn’t necessarily only send on that tone. Thank you very much for the help! That clears up some thinking. I don’t have too many repeaters in my area. In fact i can barely hit the one i do have. lol. I may end up putting up my own at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, WSAJ688 said:

Ok so it doesn’t necessarily only send on that tone.

You need to understand how tones work. When a radio or in this case the repeater has an input tone, it will squelch out any signal that does not have that tone. So, the repeater will ignore you unless your signal has that tone. When the repeater sends out a signal with a tone, you can still hear it when you use no tone at all. But you also hear all other signals. To squelch out all the other signals and just hear the repeater, use the repeaters output tone.