Hello from Medford, NY

WSAV701

Hello I just got my license and am looking for people to chat with, I am on Long Island, Medford and I do go to Massapequa a lot and I’m just looking to meet friends and learn more about gmrs and maybe dip my toes in Ham if I find time to learn

1 hour ago, WSAV701 said:

Oh cool do I need my license before that or should I check out the clubs first?

Som amateur radio clubs require you to be a licensed amateur to join, but should be more than happy to help you get your license. Many of them host study and test sessions for just that reason. Yes, check them out. The ARRL website should have listings of clubs in your area. 

3 hours ago, WSAV701 said:

Oh cool do I need my license before that or should I check out the clubs first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely check out the clubs to find out when they hold tests. You don’t need a license for that and in fact the clubs are usually pretty welcoming to anyone with a pulse and who is interested in ham radio. 
As far as studying, clubs can help with that also, or you can do it on your own using printed materials, YouTube videos or my personal favorite HamStudy.org. It’s free unless you buy the application which allows you to study anytime and anywhere on your personal device. 

• 2 weeks later...