Radio and antenna combo

Redrocket

I’m wanting an icom ic-2730a that has been modded from gigaparts. They recommend the shark 2m/6m/70cm tuned to the icom only problem with the setup is it’s a magmount antenna and I drive an aluminum truck and pull a trailer most of the time. I’ll be hooking the radio it to a quick power disconnect so I can transfer the radio between trucks both are fords and aluminum body. So I need a recommendation on an antenna that will work for me while pulling a trailer. Hope for some helpful information. And if there is a better radio that I should consider let me know.  No btech or Chinese crap. Pictures of rigs below for ideas of how big the trailer is. Price is not an option for a good antenna. 

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

1 hour ago, Redrocket said:

I’m wanting an icom ic-2730a that has been modded from gigaparts. They recommend the shark 2m/6m/70cm tuned to the icom only problem with the setup is it’s a magmount antenna and I drive an aluminum truck and pull a trailer most of the time. I’ll be hooking the radio it to a quick power disconnect so I can transfer the radio between trucks both are fords and aluminum body. So I need a recommendation on an antenna that will work for me while pulling a trailer. Hope for some helpful information. And if there is a better radio that I should consider let me know.  No btech or Chinese crap. Pictures of rigs below for ideas of how big the trailer is. Price is not an option for a good antenna. 

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

Look into the Diesel antenna mount that screws into place between the third brake light and the cab. Then just use something like one of the SBB series long enough to get above the trailer. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Look into the Diesel antenna mount that screws into place between the third brake light and the cab. Then just use something like one of the SBB series long enough to get above the trailer. 

I’ll look into that mount. Do you happen to know who makes it?

8 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

@Redrocket I’ve been using the Comet SBB-5NMO with my IC-2730A and I’m quite happy with it. Their CA-2X4SR may work better with your taller trailer. 

I had to go look it up, but I was thinking that the SBB-7NMO might be a good choice also, but I’m not sure how it looks on GMRS frequencies.  It’s about 55 inches long.  I think you’re right that the CA-2x4SR has a better wideband response.