Tidradio TD-H3 Firmware update failed.

WSAA635

Question

I tried to update the firmware on one of my H3's to see if it'll fix the issues I've been having. I've tried dozens of times but it keeps failing at about 10% to sometimes 40% download. I'm running the .exe in WINE on my Linux Box, I've installed extra drivers in hopes that it would fix things, no luck. I've tried using Win7, Win10 and even Win11 in WINE and still no luck. Any ideas of how to get the update into the radio?  If I can't get this figured out I'll just have to send the radio back because right now it's a "brick". Thanks

11 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Never mind, I give up. Word of caution, DON'T try to upgrade your Firmware on the H3.

How much you want for your bricked H3?

Did you try to connect it to your CRM113 Discriminator and activate it with the code: OPE?

I have no clue what a "CRM113 Discriminator" is. LOL. All I know is that NONE of the H3's I have work in CHIRP. They all miss uploading channels or show channels on the radio that are not downloaded from the radio. I think it's some issue with the radio's memory and the way it handles channels. All 4 are going back and I'll figure out what to get next.  On a positive note, the H8 seems to be working ok(cross my fingers) so I'll hang onto it for now.  Maybe I'll try a Talkpod A36Plus. They're suppose to have Airbands.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:13 PM, WSAA635 said:

I tried to update the firmware on one of my H3's to see if it'll fix the issues I've been having. I've tried dozens of times but it keeps failing at about 10% to sometimes 40% download. I'm running the .exe in WINE on my Linux Box, I've installed extra drivers in hopes that it would fix things, no luck. I've tried using Win7, Win10 and even Win11 in WINE and still no luck. Any ideas of how to get the update into the radio?  If I can't get this figured out I'll just have to send the radio back because right now it's a "brick". Thanks

As a Linux user myself, I use VMware for all my programming needs. Never a problem and can be moved to different machines if needed. 

I have Virtual Box installed but WINE just seems a bit easier for me to use. I downloaded and installed the Retevis RA89 CPS and drivers easy peasy in prep for the radio which will be here Thursday.  I'll try CHIRP but if that doesn't work I've got the CPS to fall back on. 

2 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I have Virtual Box installed but WINE just seems a bit easier for me to use. I downloaded and installed the Retevis RA89 CPS and drivers easy peasy in prep for the radio which will be here Thursday.  I'll try CHIRP but if that doesn't work I've got the CPS to fall back on. 

I am a big fan of VirtualBox as well,used it for many years. I find using VMs makes things easier when it comes to drivers and overall performance. I used WINE many years ago and never felt it a reliable option. I'm thinking you might have something going on between Linux and the radio that causes it to hiccup. 

Long before I discovered VirtualBox I'd put Distros on USB sticks and boot to them to check them out, LOL.  Once I found VB I just download the ISO and spin it up in VB to give it a look. If I liked it I'd install it and run it for a while to see what I thought.  I've been pretty much set with MX-Linux/KDE for the last 3 or 4 years. It works well and is stable because it's Debian based.

12 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Long before I discovered VirtualBox I'd put Distros on USB sticks and boot to them to check them out, LOL.  Once I found VB I just download the ISO and spin it up in VB to give it a look. If I liked it I'd install it and run it for a while to see what I thought.  I've been pretty much set with MX-Linux/KDE for the last 3 or 4 years. It works well and is stable because it's Debian based.

Kinda same strategy here. I used Ubuntu for years until they "F" it up with Unity. I then went with Manjaro, which I find really stable and reliable making it a joy to use. I do still carry a USB stick on my keyring with Ubuntu since it allows a persistent file. Oh, one thing I also like about using VMs is being able to run all that old Motorola software under Windows 97 (32-bit) that won't even install on a 64-bit platform.