GMRS repeater Retevis RT97 range / vs handheld radio

Hi -

Debating whether or not to purchase a repeater ( Retevis RT97 ) taking in consideration my location. 

I live in the suburbs where the highest sea elevation is maybe 25' and its down to 8' or so. No mountains or valleys, just level. Live by the ocean on the east coast.

I'm using 2 Baoefeng GMRS -9R 5W radios. The distance between the 2 radios is about 1.5 miles. I can transmit, have to move around bit to find a good signal but other than that, it works good. Can carry a conversation, etc. After 2 miles its over, no reception.

I know if I'm up higher there would be no problem. 

Here is my question....

Would using the Retevis RT97 actually improve the signal?

The repeater would be set up at either location A or B thats about 1.5 miles apart. Nothing in between.....

Live in a condo so can't install an exterior antenna.  I'm looking at the 5 watts from the radios vs a repeater pushing 5 watts. 

Last, here is another question...

Say cell phones go down, I'm assuming alot of people would jump with walkie talkies ( frs ) which means channel 1-22 would more than likely be a mess. I'm assuming using a repeater in that instance would allow me to operate on the 1-8 repeater channels without interference. With that being said, is it possible to keep a repeater channel private using tones? In the sense no one can listen with a GMRS radio as well as talk?

I'm just throwing around some scenarios and curious some of your thoughts.

Thanks 

Marinko

1. There is no privacy. PL tones don’t work that way. Anyone with a receiver capable of receiving on the GMRS frequencies can hear any nearby transmissions. 
2. The repeater channels receive using the same frequencies as channels 15-22, so congestion will follow you. 

Hi -
Debating whether or not to purchase a repeater ( Retevis RT97 ) taking in consideration my location. 

I live in the suburbs where the highest sea elevation is maybe 25' and its down to 8' or so. No mountains or valleys, just level. Live by the ocean on the east coast.
I'm using 2 Baoefeng GMRS -9R 5W radios. The distance between the 2 radios is about 1.5 miles. I can transmit, have to move around bit to find a good signal but other than that, it works good. Can carry a conversation, etc. After 2 miles its over, no reception.
I know if I'm up higher there would be no problem. 
Here is my question....

Would using the Retevis RT97 actually improve the signal?
The repeater would be set up at either location A or B thats about 1.5 miles apart. Nothing in between.....
Live in a condo so can't install an exterior antenna.  I'm looking at the 5 watts from the radios vs a repeater pushing 5 watts. 

Last, here is another question...
Say cell phones go down, I'm assuming alot of people would jump with walkie talkies ( frs ) which means channel 1-22 would more than likely be a mess. I'm assuming using a repeater in that instance would allow me to operate on the 1-8 repeater channels without interference. With that being said, is it possible to keep a repeater channel private using tones? In the sense no one can listen with a GMRS radio as well as talk?

I'm just throwing around some scenarios and curious some of your thoughts.

Thanks 

Marinko
If you could get the repeater high up and close to the edge of your coverage, then you could theoretically double your range.

As far as the second question. No. Anyone with a scanner can find you. Anyone with a frequency counter, sdr or just plain radio could find the repeater. Any radio that could listen to the frequency (has it in its frequency range) with a tone decoder. Could decode the pl..

You want privacy and encryption. The commercial license and setup are probably going to do what you want.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, kidphc said:

If you could get the repeater high up and close to the edge of your coverage, then you could theoretically double your range

No this is not really true.  It will still only transmit the same distance but in all directions.  Repeaters only works with 3 or more stations where the repeater is in the middle between the other 2.  A repeater being used as a base station talking to one other station does nothing.   It just acts like a second radio. 

this scenario can o my be made better by heigh of antenna 

High on the ridge I can talk thru my RT97 with a HT out to 15 miles..That is as far as I have checked  it so I don't know the actual range.. Using a base antenna will get you considerably more range than a HT, but unless you can place it in a central location, it probably won't help a lot.. I do like my repeater though..

KIMG1790.jpg