Any scouters here?

GMRS newb and Assistant Scoutmaster here.  I was wondering if there are any scouters here and if you have managed to incorporate GMRS/FRS into troop activities.  Obviously, there is the radio merit badge, but was curious about how you use it during troop meetings, Summer Camp, hikes, etc.  Lemme know!

Just got my call sign recently, and I love that it has BP in the middle of it.

Scott (WSBP447)

10-15 years ago I talked to a scout troop who were high up in the Sierras (above 9000') from across the valley (7000'). They were on a 5W VHS 2m handheld as was I. Our approximate distance was 92 miles.

I was a scout in the late 60s and part of the 70s. I would think FRS/GMRS would be great for scouting activities. They could learn basics about radios and about dealing with government websites when getting a GMRS license. Hopefully someone involved in scouting will jump in here at some point.

I'm not anymore but, yes FRS could absolutely be used to teach responsibility and organizational skills along with general radio operator skills (Ie if you press the mic button it takes a second before you should start talking).

Idk how your troop is set up but basically the way id imagine it is you could assign someone to be the radio operator for a patrol / group. It's actually a pretty good position to give to scouts. It makes them feel responsible for something during activities, they have to use it appropriately etc etc. Definitely train all the scouts on radio usage but scouts love being given a special assignment.

Exercise example:

During navigation/rescue practices you can have someone be "injured" and need to be rescued by describing their location over the radio while someone else tries to find them based on the directions given by the injured victim.

There's a lot you can do it's basically limited by your imagination.

Yes this would be a great idea for learning to use practical navigational skills minus the GPSr available today. My scout education prepared me for life back in the late 1960s as well.

As a matter of fact, I still carry my first compass given to me for map reading to this day in my Jeep.

23 hours ago, WSBP447 said:

GMRS newb and Assistant Scoutmaster here.  I was wondering if there are any scouters here and if you have managed to incorporate GMRS/FRS into troop activities.  Obviously, there is the radio merit badge, but was curious about how you use it during troop meetings, Summer Camp, hikes, etc.  Lemme know!

Here are a few suggestions.

First, I would take GMRS off the table.  As you know, GMRS is a licensed service, and while your license covers you and your family (including any Scouts that are your kids) that doesn't extend to anyone else in the troop, adult or youth.  You could, as has already been suggested, use that as an opportunity to have members negotiate the FCC website, but minors aren't even eligible to get a GMRS license so their parents would have to get one.  I'm sure some may read this and think, "no one will care if you let kids use your GMRS radios" but A Scout is Obedient, right?

FRS and MURS, on the other hand, are great tools.  We used to use FRS bubble pack radios but switched to using MURS radios instead since they work better in the thick vegetation at summer camp.  If your troop goes the FRS route then you (and anyone else with a GMRS license) can use a GMRS radio to talk to the FRS radios.

We primarily used radios in three ways:

1)  Inter-vehicle communication while travelling to campouts and summer camp.  Using an HT inside a car or truck is not ideal, but as long as you are fairly close they do fine.  Simple things like making sure all drivers have their Scouts and are ready to go after a stop are much easier done with radios.

2)  Communication between leaders at summer camp.  Radios are VERY useful while at camp.  "Hey Mr. Scoutmaster, since you are over that direction can you please stop at the office and pick up our mail?"  "Mr. Smith, can you please bring a couple blue cards to the lunchtime merit badge class?"  Sure, they can be used in an emergency too, but it's SO much easier to ask if someone is in camp and can grab something rather than having to walk back yourself!  We also did a hike one day at camp and the radios were useful for keeping track of the hiking group's progress, and for coordinating between the front and back of the hikers.

3)  Communication between leaders and patrols during weekend campouts.  Useful for things like, "Hey Mr. Scoutmaster, a bunch of us Scouts want to go play gaga ball until it's time to start dinner" so you hand the SPL a radio and tell him you'll let him know when it's time to come back.  Sure, you could just have a leader go fetch them when it's time, but why not use the technology at hand?  🙂

Hope this helps!

On 3/14/2024 at 1:34 AM, WRYC373 said:

I'm not anymore but, yes FRS could absolutely be used to teach responsibility and organizational skills along with general radio operator skills (Ie if you press the mic button it takes a second before you should start talking).

Idk how your troop is set up but basically the way id imagine it is you could assign someone to be the radio operator for a patrol / group. It's actually a pretty good position to give to scouts. It makes them feel responsible for something during activities, they have to use it appropriately etc etc. Definitely train all the scouts on radio usage but scouts love being given a special assignment.

Exercise example:

During navigation/rescue practices you can have someone be "injured" and need to be rescued by describing their location over the radio while someone else tries to find them based on the directions given by the injured victim.

There's a lot you can do it's basically limited by your imagination.

This is a great idea.  I do have a couple FRS radios I found (a gift for my sons pre-COVID that I completely forgot about) and I might suggest that idea to the SPL for some fun at camp this weekend.  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Why not just take the logical step from the Radio Merit Badge to earning an amateur radio Technician license?

I'd say that's the goal.  I'm studying for Technician now, and eventually I might become a merit badge counselor.  In the interim, as I'm getting familiar with things, GMRS gives me the opportunity to learn radio procedure, understand how repeaters work, etc.  but, yes, I'd say that's the goal.

If everyone gets their tech license, you can use it anywhere, and may be able to use nearby equipment (repeaters).

There are tons of BSA troops that have commercial licenses on business itinerant frequencies. Troop owns a fleet of 20 radios, and they go to any group stepping away from the camp. That is also an option.

No matter what, it boils do to your troop needs to have a communication policy in place, make it well known and USE it. 

5 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

If everyone gets their tech license, you can use it anywhere, and may be able to use nearby equipment (repeaters).

There are tons of BSA troops that have commercial licenses on business itinerant frequencies. Troop owns a fleet of 20 radios, and they go to any group stepping away from the camp. That is also an option.

No matter what, it boils do to your troop needs to have a communication policy in place, make it well known and USE it. 

I hadn't thought of either getting a business license or having a comms policy.  This is very good food for thought.  I don't know if we could get everyone to tech, that would have to be a decision for the individual scouts, but the path for me, at any rate, is to get to tech, and maybe become a MBC.  Thanks!

23 hours ago, wrci350 said:

Here are a few suggestions.

First, I would take GMRS off the table.  As you know, GMRS is a licensed service, and while your license covers you and your family (including any Scouts that are your kids) that doesn't extend to anyone else in the troop, adult or youth.  You could, as has already been suggested, use that as an opportunity to have members negotiate the FCC website, but minors aren't even eligible to get a GMRS license so their parents would have to get one.  I'm sure some may read this and think, "no one will care if you let kids use your GMRS radios" but A Scout is Obedient, right?

FRS and MURS, on the other hand, are great tools.  We used to use FRS bubble pack radios but switched to using MURS radios instead since they work better in the thick vegetation at summer camp.  If your troop goes the FRS route then you (and anyone else with a GMRS license) can use a GMRS radio to talk to the FRS radios.

We primarily used radios in three ways:

1)  Inter-vehicle communication while travelling to campouts and summer camp.  Using an HT inside a car or truck is not ideal, but as long as you are fairly close they do fine.  Simple things like making sure all drivers have their Scouts and are ready to go after a stop are much easier done with radios.

2)  Communication between leaders at summer camp.  Radios are VERY useful while at camp.  "Hey Mr. Scoutmaster, since you are over that direction can you please stop at the office and pick up our mail?"  "Mr. Smith, can you please bring a couple blue cards to the lunchtime merit badge class?"  Sure, they can be used in an emergency too, but it's SO much easier to ask if someone is in camp and can grab something rather than having to walk back yourself!  We also did a hike one day at camp and the radios were useful for keeping track of the hiking group's progress, and for coordinating between the front and back of the hikers.

3)  Communication between leaders and patrols during weekend campouts.  Useful for things like, "Hey Mr. Scoutmaster, a bunch of us Scouts want to go play gaga ball until it's time to start dinner" so you hand the SPL a radio and tell him you'll let him know when it's time to come back.  Sure, you could just have a leader go fetch them when it's time, but why not use the technology at hand?  🙂

Hope this helps!

Agreed on FRS.  I have a couple FRS radios that were given to my boys some years ago that I'd forgotten about completely, so the troop can make use of them. Thank you for those suggestions.  I'm thinking they may make my time at Summer Camp a lot easier!

On 3/14/2024 at 7:01 AM, H8SPVMT said:

Yes this would be a great idea for learning to use practical navigational skills minus the GPSr available today. My scout education prepared me for life back in the late 1960s as well.

As a matter of fact, I still carry my first compass given to me for map reading to this day in my Jeep.

Nice!  Yes, I think a navigation exercise with the FRS radios might be a fun idea.  I'll talk with the SPL.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:33 PM, WRHS218 said:

10-15 years ago I talked to a scout troop who were high up in the Sierras (above 9000') from across the valley (7000'). They were on a 5W VHS 2m handheld as was I. Our approximate distance was 92 miles.

I was a scout in the late 60s and part of the 70s. I would think FRS/GMRS would be great for scouting activities. They could learn basics about radios and about dealing with government websites when getting a GMRS license. Hopefully someone involved in scouting will jump in here at some point.

92 miles!  Very cool!  Definitely hoping to try and use the FRS radios I have to help them get the basics down.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:01 AM, H8SPVMT said:

I forgot to mention that this simple education lead me to learning open water navigation and GPSr use later in life.

On 3/13/2024 at 4:33 PM, WRHS218 said:

They could learn basics about radios and about dealing with government websites when getting a GMRS license. Hopefully someone involved in scouting will jump in here at some point.

BTW, I know you have to 18 to apply for a GMRS license. Not sure I understand why...