Desert Rat

Guest Tim

Guest Tim

I am inpatiently waiting for My Licence and my New radio, Hopefully by Friday. In the mean time Id thought I'd snoop around just to get familiar. What I have discovered is I apparently need to get a personal repeater. Joshua Tree National Park is in my Back Yard. According to Repeater Book, we have alot of 2Meter and 70cm, I hope my radio even gets out on the air.

Repeaterbook, I find, doesn't accurately represent my area to it's full potential in terms of repeaters. Sometimes the HAMs in the area are also GMRS. (A guy known for his HAM repeaters in my area ALSO has a GMRS repeater not listed on RepeaterBook, only here.

Considering GMRS is very popular among hikers, groups, families, etc. I'd assume Joshua Tree would most likely have a GMRS repeater. I don't know what radio you have, but some are able to detect CTCSS tones on a repeater, and then subsequently set your radio to the correct tones. So perhaps hit up the repeater channels. See if you get anything back.

6 minutes ago, WSAH999 said:

Repeaterbook, I find, doesn't accurately represent my area to it's full potential in terms of repeaters.

In my experience, Repeaterbook is worthless for GMRS but great for amateur radio. The best source of GMRS repeaters, in my opinion, is right here on MyGMRS.

That Joshua Tree repeater has great range - i was hitting it last weekend from out around Desert Center and toward Blythe.

The Palm Springs Tram repeater also has great coverage and the Mesa Crest repeater has great High-Desert and Inland Empire coverage.