Hmmm... Is the Radioddity DB20-UV just an unlocked DB20-G?

Pretty much. Just different firmware.

The retagged anytone at-779 is the same radio with a different sticker. I have mine unlocked. (Softwares unlock and easy)

Anytone is version is usually cheaper. Most places sell it under $90 usd.

Both were tested by the same corporation in China and same person.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I have the G. It's expanded so to use the other bands. It's really nice and small. I also like I didn't need to run any power wire since it just plugs into the cig lighter. 

The programing software is not the easiest to use and there are no copy or paste options between Chirp. It appears that you can NOT move programed channels up or down so plan accordingly when you program incase you want to add repeaters later. Hope that helps if you go this direction.

59 minutes ago, Darmie said:

I have the G. It's expanded so to use the other bands. It's really nice and small. I also like I didn't need to run any power wire since it just plugs into the cig lighter. 

The programing software is not the easiest to use and there are no copy or paste options between Chirp. It appears that you can NOT move programed channels up or down so plan accordingly when you program incase you want to add repeaters later. Hope that helps if you go this direction.

I have both: the DB20-G and the AT-779UV with one in my car. 

I program in categories with blank channels between each category for later growth (500 channels). The gaps are ignored by the radio in use.

When I did outgrow one gap, I found that you can go to the bottom channel of the next group and copy and paste it to the next channel down, to recreate gaps again.

14 hours ago, WRXB215 said:

A very similar radio, the AnyTone AT-778UV is CHIRP programmable. It costs a little more and you have to run the wires but that isn't difficult and it's a nice radio.

I have no experience with the AT-778UV.

Is having Chirp compatibility worth the extra 25% in price?

I personally like the cigarette lighter plug availability on both my AT-779UV and now my Radioditty DB25-D DMR mini-mobiles, so that I can easily (with cup holder mounts and a mag-mount) remove these radios completely when not needed.

@WRYS709 I doubt CHIRP by itself is worth the extra price but there are other features I like. A little extra power and screen invert(I thought I would never use this but now I do).

I am curious about the 779 and how warm it gets. It looks like it might make a real nice backpack radio. The 778 gets warm. Not alarming warm, but warm enough I don't want it in a backpack.

[mention=13313]WRYS709[/mention] I doubt CHIRP by itself is worth the extra price but there are other features I like. A little extra power and screen invert(I thought I would never use this but now I do).
I am curious about the 779 and how warm it gets. It looks like it might make a real nice backpack radio. The 778 gets warm. Not alarming warm, but warm enough I don't want it in a backpack.
Both the 778uv and db20g/779uv get quite warm on rag chews.

The db20g/779uv are passively cooled. Don't use it enough to have it shut down. That is what the Motorolas are for.

I do have about 5 friends that have added pc fans to the 778uv. Since they would get hot enough to clip or even shut down.

[mention=2261]kidphc[/mention] Thanks for the info. I rag chew in the mornings on the way to work but I haven't had any problems yet. Perhaps later this summer when the truck is blazing hot. 
It's all about the duty cylces. If you talk for 5-10 minutes keyed, issue. If it is 1-2 minutes of key time, when you talk and let the other person talk not so much of an issue.

My experiences with heat on both my DB20-G and AT-779UV mirror @kidphc's.

I recently picked up the Radioddity DB25-D DMR mini-mobile (not to be confused with its similarly confusingly named DB25-G GMRS analog radio) and it has better heat dissipation and I am considering some sort of backpack/gobox for it with a hotspot.  I want to keep the DB20-G in the car, as it has better reach on analog.