Radiodiddity UV 5X/ Baofeng UV 5G

WSAH452

Question

These are certified GMRS radios and are Sold in Pairs 
Programing with Chirp is ok But can't Change channels 1 through 30 as They are preset

Here's the question 

How far will they go on simplex I live in an area where there are Big Buildings within the city ?

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, WSAH452 said:

These are certified GMRS radios and are Sold in Pairs 
Programing with Chirp is ok But can't Change channels 1 through 30 as They are preset

Here's the question 

How far will they go on simplex I live in an area where there are Big Buildings within the city ?

It’s impossible to reliably say. They might go from one block to another or they could go miles between upper floors of two different buildings. 

I understand you can't tell the reliability 
Just going by what My FRS Radios do Which is a total of 5 City Blocks One in the Apt. and one I take outside 
I was just wondering If my new UV 5G's Would at least Double the Distance with the 5 Watts
Where as the FRS Radios are 2 watts or Less

22 hours ago, Sshannon said:

It’s impossible to reliably say. They might go from one block to another or they could go miles between upper floors of two different buildings. 

20 minutes ago, WSAH452 said:

I understand you can't tell the reliability 
Just going by what My FRS Radios do Which is a total of 5 City Blocks One in the Apt. and one I take outside 
I was just wondering If my new UV 5G's Would at least Double the Distance with the 5 Watts
Where as the FRS Radios are 2 watts or Less

No, doubling the power won’t double the range.  
You might be surprised but doubling the power might not make any real difference in range. Power isn’t the limiting factor. 

23 hours ago, WSAH452 said:

there are Big Buildings within the city

21 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Power isn’t the limiting factor

Steve is right. In that kind of setting, it's all about the obstructions, int this case, buildings. Increasing power doesn't penetrate a building.

Where I live and operate, we have lots of trees. In this case power does come into play. If you can't get above the trees(and I can't) then you have to go through them. When I'm at my house and on a UV-5R8W, if I use medium power, I can't hit my favorite repeater. On high power, I can hit the repeater just fine. When I'm near or on loop 610 with my mobile radio, it doesn't matter how much power I use, I get picket fencing. You just can't punch through buildings with a GMRS radio. You can, however, sometimes bounce off of them.

This is why trying to figure out the fars can only be done by a field test.