Tx on one channel and Rx on different channel.

WSCA349

Question

Newbie question here. For example,  I am monitoring on Channel 23 and someone is transmitting on that channel but yet I hear the responding person on say channel 21. I have a dual band handheld (UV-5G plus). Is that normal?

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WSCA349 said:

Newbie question here. For example,  I am monitoring on Channel 23 and someone is transmitting on that channel but yet I hear the responding person on say channel 21. I have a dual band handheld (UV-5G plus). Is that normal?

How have you got your radio programmed up?

13 minutes ago, WRZE995 said:

its very likely that 'channel 23' is programmed or intended to be a repeater channel, and the Recieve frequency programed into that channel (memory slot) is the same as whatever channel you are hearing the response back from.

On the UV-5G-Plus, channel 23 is Repeater Channel #1 (aka 467/462.5500) and channel 21 is GMRS channel 21 (aka 462.700).  Because the OP says he has not made any programming changes to the radio, your made-up scenario is... made up.. and therefore should be ignored.  

6 hours ago, WSCA349 said:

Welcome to GMRS and this forum. 

Some of the other members on this forum, have levels of intelligence so great, that a newbie question literally makes their brains explode!

Don’t take it personally or as an insult. 

Some still like to Elmer, to borrow an expression from Ham Radio, that is, who enjoy imparting knowledge to those newly arrived to GmRS, and are not frustrated by answering similar questions, many times over. 

it is surprising, that those with such great levels of intelligence, have still not figured out how to go on to the next topic, without having to give any response. 

Part of the problem is social media software, that grants points, awards and likes and Dislikes to those that just cannot filter their impulse to “spray” every possible comment with their “scent.

Now, as to your question, many HTs label GMRS as Channels 1-30.  The first 14 channels are on different frequencies  

However Channels 15-22, the high power channels of up to 50 watts) are also the same frequencies as Channels 23 through 30, respectively, which are then used in pairs to transmit to, and receive from repeaters. 

So yes, the repeater output on Channel 23, is the same as a simplex operator on Channel 15. But they may be licated so far from each other that they do not interfere with each other. 

But you may be located at a midpoint where you can hear them both. 

Also you may be hearing User-A on the output of a repeater on Channel 23 and then hear User-B’s output on the same repeater but you are hearing them on the same frequency, denominated as Channel 15. 

It will make more sense as you get more usage experience 

6 hours ago, Guest said:

Channel 23 is not a regular GMRS channel (within 1 through 22) - 

Also note - 'channel' really just represents a programmed memory in the radio, IE: memory slot 1

I'm not familiar with the uv-5g plus, but its very likely that 'channel 23' is programmed or intended to be a repeater channel, and the Recieve frequency programed into that channel (memory slot) is the same as whatever channel you are hearing the response back from.

That’s the problem with responding to “Guests:” 

They have no skin in the game, and never have to come back to these posts, once they are registered members. 

Channel 23 is not a regular GMRS channel (within 1 through 22) - 

Also note - 'channel' really just represents a programmed memory in the radio, IE: memory slot 1

I'm not familiar with the uv-5g plus, but its very likely that 'channel 23' is programmed or intended to be a repeater channel, and the Recieve frequency programed into that channel (memory slot) is the same as whatever channel you are hearing the response back from.